General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default How should the netbook CD USB stick be formatted? - 12-31-2009, 08:44 PM

I am trying these,,
instructions with a PPC mac running tiger and a Dell mini 9.

I can make both of the USB sticks on the Mac, but the Mini 9 won't boot off of the USB sticks, even though I've tried multiple different sticks.

In these instructions, there are clear instructions as to how to partition the USB stick that the Mac OSX DVD is imaged to, but none about how to format the smaller stick. Does it matter? I'm wondering if this is why the Mini won't boot up.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 12-31-2009, 11:00 PM

First of all, NetbookCD is not used in the process. You shouldn't be using it, so if you are you will need to go back and download the correct file.

Second, there is no fomatting necessary on the small drive. The process is overwriting all data, even the formatting.

Since it appears you followed the instructions (other than a possible mix up on the NetbookCD thing) you should try using disk# instead of using rdisk#. See if that helps

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

« OS X on the new Pineview Mini 10? | Language Input problem due to my own stupidity »