General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Question Context Menu Key Mapping + other interesting formation. - 12-25-2009, 08:36 AM

I have a Mini 10v, and it's a Korean model (although British, I currently live in South Korea). The keyboard is basically the same as a US keyboard, but with Korean letters above the english ones.

In Windows, to switch between English and Korean modes, you simply press the Alt-gr Key, which on a Korean keyboard like mine is labeled 한/영 which means Korean / English.

In OS X, I know how to switch keyboard inputs, there is no problem here.

I also use VMWare Fusion to run Windows XP (which runs great by the way) and using KeyTweak in Windows, I've been able to set the Alt-gr key to operate as it should (한/영), but cannot get the context key to work correctly.

According to KeyTweak, the context menu and Alt-gr are the same key scan-code, which means that VMWare Fusion is reporting these as the same key to Windows.

OS X, or VMWare Fusion, clearly knows that the two Alt Keys are different, but I can't get it to identify that the context menu is different.

So my questions to the community are:
  1. How was the OSX keyboard map for the Mini 10v created, and is there some way to edit it?
  2. Does the context menu button work in VMWare on a normal mac using a keyboard with that button?
  3. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to make good use of the key? It should be the Option Key in OS X, and the Context menu key in Windows. Eitherway, it should not be the same as the Command key in either OS.

Mini 10v | N280 | White | 2GB RAM | Webcam | Bluetooth | 80GB X25-M SSD | OS X 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | VoodooPowerMini | A04 BIOS
MacBook | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | Unibody | 4GB RAM | 320GB 7200rpm HDD | OS X 10.6.2
Mac mini | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2 | PLEX Media Center
iMac | 2.8GHz Core i7 | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2 | Belongs to work
  (#2) Old
Default Menu key remap - 01-16-2010, 09:53 PM

I would love to change this menu key to left alt, not right.

I'm from Poland. To write polish signs, like: ąęńćó etc. on windows you needed to hold right alt. On mac you need to hold option key instead. I've changed right alt to be the option key with KeyRemap4MacBook and it works, but it's very comfortable to have command keys in both sides of keyboard, and when you change R_Alt to be option key, it changes menu key to be option key either:/ I know it's complicated:P

If I could change this menu key to be left alt instead of right, changing right alt would not affect menu key and it would be still command key as I want it to be.

Anyone have an idea how to do this??

PS: meklort said in other threat "The new (post DellEFI 1.06) keyboard drivers remap the menu key to command."

Anyone could modify this keyboard drivers to remap menu key as left command key instead of right?
  (#3) Old
Default 01-16-2010, 09:59 PM

The program in this thread may be useful.

Guide: Remap keys to mouse clicks

Netbook: Mini 10v, BIOS A05, OS X 10.6.4, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, BT
  (#4) Old
Default 01-17-2010, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by w7ox View Post
The program in this thread may be useful.

Guide: Remap keys to mouse clicks

Not really. I'm already using KeyRemap4MacBook. But this guy describes the same problem, only for other use.

« Direct load on STEC or Talent using RunCore External Enclosure | Backing OS X on USB »