Default Safe? - 12-31-2009, 06:06 PM

Mini 9 with NBI RC5 here.
Is it worth /safe trying 8.3 final.
(My wife will kill me if I mess it up).
  (#62) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
Nothing, both worked fine in RC3 and RC5 for me. OSXRestart is part of NBI so it is by default already in the minixxextra folder. Voodoopower is the only thing you need to add in additionalextensions.

You've kind of skirted around the answer. Have you tried RC5

EDIT: why are you using kexthelper to install Voodoopower??? Delete that kext wherever it put it and do it manually from additionalextensios and updateextra

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

I'm on my iPhone and do not have my computer with me.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

And if you used kext helper to install OSXRestart previously. It is obviously conflicting with the existing copy in RC5 and 8.3 final. Running NBI DOES NOT REMOVE KEXTS ADDED BY KEXTHELPER. That's why Meklort developed the additionalextensions folder.
I know all that. I'm just saying I tried all the ways of installing the kext. Currently it's in my additional Kexts folder on a clean install of SL with NBM 0.8.3 final (which is nearly the same as RC5), I ran updateExtra and the result is still negative.
I could try RC5 again sometime, but I'm pretty sure the result will be the same.

Thanks for your help, but I've tried all the "basics" like running updateExtra again or repairing permissions and stuff. This is somehow more complicated...

The kext does something. I can see the Speed is only 798 MHz, but it's not stepping. Are there 10vs with different hardware or something?

Dell Mini 10v | A05 BIOS | OS X 10.6.2 | 0.8.3 Final | Speedstepping via VoodooPowerMini.kext
  (#63) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gestalt View Post
I know all that. I'm just saying I tried all the ways of installing the kext. Currently it's in my additional Kexts folder on a clean install of SL with NBM 0.8.3 final (which is nearly the same as RC5), I ran updateExtra and the result is still negative.
I could try RC5 again sometime, but I'm pretty sure the result will be the same.

Thanks for your help, but I've tried all the "basics" like running updateExtra again or repairing permissions and stuff. This is somehow more complicated...

The kext does something. I can see the Speed is only 798 MHz, but it's not stepping. Are there 10vs with different hardware or something?
Hardware as in anything different that would cause it not to work on your machine, No.

If your on a clean install with 8.3 final only (that means no RC4)... you have nothing to loose by running RC5.

It would also help to list any modifications you have done above and beyond standard NBI extensions and VoodooPower. I am betting there is something else involved otherwise everyone would be reporting your problem. What other things have you used kext helper for (outside of installing CPU-i). What other third party extensions have you manually added.

Dell Mini 10v Mac OSX 10.6.2 1 GB RAM 160GB HDD BIOS A05 Blue Tooth 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#64) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
Hardware as in anything different that would cause it not to work on your machine, No.

If your on a clean install with 8.3 final only (that means no RC4)... you have nothing to loose by running RC5.

It would also help to list any modifications you have done above and beyond standard NBI extensions and VoodooPower. I am betting there is something else involved otherwise everyone would be reporting your problem. What other things have you used kext helper for (outside of installing CPU-i). What other third party extensions have you manually added.
Right now, there is only VoodooPowerMini.kext and CPUi.kext in the additionalkexts folder. I did a clean install to avoid any interference between kexts, so no that's not the case.

I believe there have been (some) other users having this problem, there's a known issue between OSXRestart and VoodooPowerMini as the OSXRestart description on this page says ("Failures").

I had VoodooPowerMini running that one time, but only when I didn't use OSXRestart and only when I used kexthelper. When I used both, there was always one of them that refused to work...
I'm out of ideas here. I will definetly try RC5. Maybe I will try to up or downgrade my BIOS although I'm a little afraid of that.

Dell Mini 10v | A05 BIOS | OS X 10.6.2 | 0.8.3 Final | Speedstepping via VoodooPowerMini.kext
  (#65) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gestalt View Post
Right now, there is only VoodooPowerMini.kext and CPUi.kext in the additionalkexts folder. I did a clean install to avoid any interference between kexts, so no that's not the case.

I believe there have been (some) other users having this problem, there's a known issue between OSXRestart and VoodooPowerMini as the OSXRestart description on this page says ("Failures").

I had VoodooPowerMini running that one time, but only when I didn't use OSXRestart and only when I used kexthelper. When I used both, there was always one of them that refused to work...
I'm out of ideas here. I will definetly try RC5. Maybe I will try to up or downgrade my BIOS although I'm a little afraid of that.
Ok so the only difference between you and I is as follows

1. CPU-i kext is NOT in additionalextensions folder. I used kext helper to install CPU-i because it has nothing to do with NBI and the OS.

2. I am on RC5 and you are on 8.3 final

if I were you I would remove CPU-i kext from additionalextensions and use kext helper to install (or do it manually to the system folder). Run update extra and reboot when done.

If that doesn't work leave the CPU-i kext in the system folder alone and run RC5 with voodoo in additionalextensions and run update extra and reboot

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

can't open the insanely mac link you provided but I am inclined to think that they DO have different hardware configurations and install methods. So too many variables to say

Dell Mini 10v Mac OSX 10.6.2 1 GB RAM 160GB HDD BIOS A05 Blue Tooth 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#66) Old

Angry Update DellEfi 12.5 to 0.8.3 final fails every time - 01-01-2010, 12:17 AM

I'll tried several times to update:
- no delete DellEfi and install NBI in safe mode OSX 10.5.8
or
- delete DellEfi boot file and Extras folder
- boot with CD (DellminiBoot) in safe mode
- install NBI 0.8.3 and shut off
- start again with NBI 0.8.3
-> result: always a never ending spinning wheel

Reinstall DellEfi and OSX is starting normal.

I don't want to format disk and reinstall. Are there other suggestions?
Thanks.
  (#67) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 01-01-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannock View Post
I'll tried several times to update:
- no delete DellEfi and install NBI in safe mode OSX 10.5.8
You didn't say whether you had ever tried running it without Safe Mode. Have you tried running NBI during a normal boot?

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#68) Old

Default 01-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdrew View Post
You didn't say whether you had ever tried running it without Safe Mode. Have you tried running NBI during a normal boot?
Yes, i'll tried also during a normal boot, but again only the spinning wheel....
(..and no bootscreen like with DellEfi, but maybe that part is changed..)
  (#69) Old

Default 01-01-2010, 06:01 PM

I'm trying to dual boot win7 and OSX. After installing win7 (after OSX) I get to the part to reinstall chameleon bootloader by booting back into the Mac OSX install media via usb flash drive. But, when I go to the utilities menu, there is no Netbook installer! Did something change in the final version to prevent this?
  (#70) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 01-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzumaki View Post
I'm trying to dual boot win7 and OSX. After installing win7 (after OSX) I get to the part to reinstall chameleon bootloader by booting back into the Mac OSX install media via usb flash drive. But, when I go to the utilities menu, there is no Netbook installer! Did something change in the final version to prevent this?
I don't think so, I don't know why it doesn't appear for you. But in any case, you don't have to do it FROM the Installer, you used the flash drive to get to Chameleon and then boot from your internal drive. Then you can run NetbookInstaller from your installed OS X.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

Closed Thread

« Mini 1012 OSX Support | i could search forum for days but i need specifics... »