General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

Closed Thread

(#21) Old

Default 12-26-2009, 12:22 PM

since i've installed 0.3.8 final over 0.3.8rc5 everytime i try to connect my normal screen over the VGA out OSX freezes and I have to do a cold reboot. I'm running 10.6.1 on mini 10v. anyone knows about this problem?
  (#22) Old

Default 12-26-2009, 02:31 PM

Where is the changelog for the Final version? Cant find it. What is different since RC5?

The BlackMini 10v | 2GB | Seagate 320GB 7,200 rpm | A06 -> A04 (NBI 0.8.3 RC5) | OSX 10.6.2 | Voodoo Power Mini (w/ Sleep Stepping) | ******* My easy 10v trackpad and palm rest mod -> http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...tml#post127348
  (#23) Old

Default Processor Type? - 12-26-2009, 06:09 PM

So I know the RC4 change fixed the 10.6.2 issue and showed the processor as Core Solo, just noticed after running 0.8.3 Final and going to About this Mac is says Processor 1.6 GHz Unknown. Using a different "fake out" mechanism than RC4? All is working fine so I am not necessarily worried, just curious.

Last edited by kuduboet; 12-26-2009 at 06:15 PM.
  (#24) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 12-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuduboet View Post
So I know the RC4 change fixed the 10.6.2 issue and showed the processor as Core Solo, just noticed after running 0.8.3 Final and going to About this Mac is says Processor 1.6 GHz Unknown. Using a different "fake out" mechanism than RC4? All is working fine so I am not necessarily worried, just curious.
Yeah, instead of tricking it to think we're running Core Solo (RC4 method) the bootloader just omits on-the-fly the offending "unsupported CPU list" that Apple put into the kernel.

As for changelogs and information, good places to look are Wiki Pages - netbook-installer - Project Hosting on Google Code and Meklort's Blog

From the blog concerning changes from RC5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meklort
* Bootloader banner is disabler (no longer displays chameleon string in upper right)
* Bootloader no longer blacks out screen before showing the boot logo.
* Various extra error checking especially when related to DSDT generation.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#25) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 12-26-2009, 10:22 PM

The RC4 kernel patch made it think it was a Core Solo, hence passing the supported cpu check.

RC5 and the 0.8.3 release do things slightly differently. The supported cpu check fails, however the panic call has essentially been commented out (replaced with nops).

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#26) Old

Default 12-26-2009, 10:37 PM

With this new release, does this mean I can successfully UPGRADE my bios to A06 for my mini 10v??
  (#27) Old

Default 12-27-2009, 12:06 AM

Just observation (posted over in the Dev thread, too) - with 10.5.8 I lost audio after sleep. Fixed by booting into safe boot and copying AppleHDA.kext from the package to the system/library/extensions and rebooting.

Darren
Wipeout
  (#28) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 12-27-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khua View Post
With this new release, does this mean I can successfully UPGRADE my bios to A06 for my mini 10v??
I guess it's possible, but I don't know why on earth you'd want to. You'd be a whole lot safer just leaving it where it is, there's no advantage to A06.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#29) Old

Default 12-27-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdrew View Post
I don't know why the SMC thing is there, I'm guessing you'll need to completely reinstall. I updated my guide for installing from a Mac to SSD, those instructions should work for you.
I have reinstalled everything following your guide (Method 4) and still can not boot up. The error message is that SMC is stuck and cannot recover.
  (#30) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 12-27-2009, 02:04 AM

How did you install on the mac?

*Don't* use NetbookInstaller or NetbookBootMaker
Boot the install dvd just like you would to install on the internal drive and install. Once you do that, reboot and run NetbookBootMaker on the drive, not NetbookInstaller.

After that, you should be able to boot on the dell and run NetbookInstaller from the /Applications folder.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
Closed Thread

« Mini 1012 OSX Support | i could search forum for days but i need specifics... »