General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

Closed Thread

(#11) Old

Default 12-25-2009, 09:28 PM

The problem I have described with boot sequence stuck at "SMC is stuck and cannot recover" happens with the updated final version. Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

just to add i am trying to install NBI directly from Mac to SSD/HDD as I don't have an USB stick.
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 12-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Does this happen when you try to boot it on the Mac or the netbook?

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#13) Old

Default 12-25-2009, 10:21 PM

on the netbook. I have not tried to boot it on the Mac. i will try and report.
--------------------
When i try to boot from the Mac nothing happens for a while and then the Mac boots of the hard drive. So i assume it doesn't work on the Mac either.

Last edited by olukin; 12-25-2009 at 11:23 PM.
  (#14) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-25-2009, 11:16 PM

It's asking me for a password after I start extracting the zip file.
File 'prop-base' is password protected.
Please enter the password in the box below.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

So whats up with the password?

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#15) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-26-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
It's asking me for a password after I start extracting the zip file.
File 'prop-base' is password protected.
Please enter the password in the box below.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

So whats up with the password?
The password only comes up on Windows systems. Download it to a Mac (or netbook with Mac) in order to unzip it. It's a bug, and we know about it, but since you can't do anything with the software on a Windows machine it isn't too important to fix right now.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#16) Old

Default 12-26-2009, 12:56 AM

anyone know where i can get the previous chameleon theme that meklort had?
  (#17) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-26-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khua View Post
anyone know where i can get the previous chameleon theme that meklort had?
You can get my tweaked version (silver Apple logo instead of flat gray) by mounting this image and then copying the Themes folder to your Extra folder. (You should backup the other theme just in case this goes screwy.)

As for anyone else who have messed up with the older (bad) final release, you can either use that same image (copied via dd to a flash drive) or the new NetbookCD to boot into your corrupted install and reinstall with the corrected NetbookInstaller.

Last edited by mechdrew; 12-26-2009 at 08:37 AM.
  (#18) Old

Default 12-26-2009, 09:45 AM

Mechdrew,
i messed up my mini with the initial 0.8.3 (reboot loop). As I don't have an USB and have a Runcore SSD I have tried to install directly from the Mac updated 0.8.3 and 0.8.3rc5 and 0.8.3rc4 with the same effect that it gets stuck on booting with the pin wheel screen. If i do verbose mode i can see the message "SMC is stuck and cannot recover".
Is there any way to recover the SSD without an USB just by connecting SSD directly to the Mac?
If I to reinstall everything can i do it as described in your guide directly from the Mac with 0.8.3?
Thanks
  (#19) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-26-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olukin View Post
Mechdrew,
i messed up my mini with the initial 0.8.3 (reboot loop). As I don't have an USB and have a Runcore SSD I have tried to install directly from the Mac updated 0.8.3 and 0.8.3rc5 and 0.8.3rc4 with the same effect that it gets stuck on booting with the pin wheel screen. If i do verbose mode i can see the message "SMC is stuck and cannot recover".
Is there any way to recover the SSD without an USB just by connecting SSD directly to the Mac?
If I to reinstall everything can i do it as described in your guide directly from the Mac with 0.8.3?
Thanks
I don't know why the SMC thing is there, I'm guessing you'll need to completely reinstall. I updated my guide for installing from a Mac to SSD, those instructions should work for you.

(#20) Old

Default 12-26-2009, 10:58 AM

I have noticed that if I lower the volume all the way
down it will not mute.
it still has sound.

Currently on 10.5.8

Vostro A90 2GB RAM/16 GB SSD/16GB SDHC/0.3 Web Cam/Bluetooh/10.6.2/NBI 0.8.3/8-Cell battery
Closed Thread

« Mini 1012 OSX Support | i could search forum for days but i need specifics... »