General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#61) Old
Default 05-09-2010, 10:06 PM

Being a "mac person" since I was a kid, when I saw a co-worker with a mini running osx, I became obsessed.

I wound up with two (one for the wife) and jumped through hoops to get them configured properly. She looks soooooo cute using it and totally loves it! Bonus.

I would never have bought a netbook and used Windows. No offense to Windows folks, it's just that we mostly use macs at our house. Netbooks never even tempted me as I have a MacBookPro but don't always feel comfortable lugging that $2000 computer around everywhere.

For $250 a piece, my wife and I are THRILLED with these little machines.
Wherever I go, when people see them they are AMAZED.

Until the ipad gets a camera and can display flash, I'm keeping these handy! Also, being that the ipad is so new, it's a theft magnet.

For the "fun factor", price and portability, this is the best computer purchase I've made in years!

And I LOVE this community too.

: D

Wherever to go... there you are.
  (#62) Old
Default 05-14-2010, 03:42 AM

I've always worked in both environments, Mac and PC. But only ever used the PC side because I had to, really. I own two other laptops, neither of which make me wanna power them up, one has XP on it, the other has Vista. Haven't yet tried Windows 7. But Mac OS has always pleased me.. even way back in the days of switching extensions on and off for different programs.

I've even tried different distributions of Linux over the years, my favorite being Yellow Dog, which I ran on my PS3. I installed Ubuntu on my Mini to see what that was all about. But the truth is Linux is just to much work. I read an article suggesting that Ubuntu is finally the Linux distro that can bring it into the mainstream. I disagree, and dumped my install right away.

Having OS X on the 10v is perfect. This is a laptop that I do wanna power up. Love it. The question now is what to do with the other laptops. I guess I could scavenge them for parts... probably just sell them on ebay.

One note: It's awesome to have a Mac at such a reasonable price. Now that I've gone through this project successfully, I do wish Apple would open up their OS a bit more to make so we could all have more options. It's obviously possible.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Originally Posted by MaoriYelir View Post
I still have Windows for torrents and video but anything besides that I am in OSX.
For torrents you should try transmission in OS X. It's a great app, and it's lean.. no frills.
For video, VLC handles pretty much everything for me. Unless you mean editing and such, then you might have apps in Win environment you're already comfortable with.

Cheers. O
  (#63) Old
Default 05-14-2010, 03:29 PM

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

For torrents you should try transmission in OS X. It's a great app, and it's lean.. no frills.
For video, VLC handles pretty much everything for me. Unless you mean editing and such, then you might have apps in Win environment you're already comfortable with.

Cheers. O
I'm on a 1010 with the 1366x768 screen and GMA 500 so there are some video issues not present on the 1011. By torrents I just meant video. Video plays very jittery and the audio crackles quite a bit, VLC won't work at all for one reason or another for me but Quicktime with Xvid plugin will, it just plays at 5 FPS or so, fairly unwatchable. It's not a huge deal, I wasn't expecting to watch video. I have no problem switching into Windows for a few hours to watch a movie.
  (#64) Old
Default 05-14-2010, 04:37 PM

My old 15.4" Dell laptop from 2004 gave up the ghost and I decided a small laptop would be better for taking notes in class. Since I use a Mac Pro as my main desktop and I'm a Mac user primarily it wasn't even a question whether I'd prefer Mac OS or Windows on my laptop.

Since i didn't want to shell out megabucks for a Mac laptop, the 10v was really the best option.

I could probably make do with Windows on the 10v, but since I have an Apple developer license to 10.6 I decided I'd make use of it on the 10v as well. Haven't looked back since.
  (#65) Old
Default 05-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Stability, speed, elegance, no bloatware, no viruses, OS X Spaces (nothing similar on a Windows XP netbook; I find it very useful on my mini9 tiny screen) and Time Machine.

I use it when traveling and while in coffee shops. I watch SD movies on it too (I use Chroma Player and Movist for that).

I've actually sold my first generation Macbook Air and got a mini9. It's smaller, lighter and has more USB ports than the Air.
  (#66) Old
Default 05-19-2010, 01:07 PM

(1) to see if I could do it
(2) to see what it is & whether I'll like it

All I have to do now is work out some of the problems & update, but it is on there.

============Learning Devices============

(#67) Old
Default 05-20-2010, 09:35 AM

I've heard that programming for iPhones are easy (simple rather) so I thought "I have a couple of ideas that could sell well", but I have little programming experience (BASIC and Pascal to be clear) and I do not want to invest £1000.00 in hardware for programming on a platform that I may not be able to commit to.

I came across this forum due to the article "Mini 10v discontinued" and thought it's now or never, bought the hardware and the OS X 10.6.3 retail and installed it.

Started programming and the only issue I have is the small screen (which I solved with an external monitor)

Like OS X a lot and I am now seriously considering getting an iMAC.

[ Dell Mini 10v | Product RED | BIOS: A06 | HDD: 160GB factory | Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail DVD | 1 GB RAM | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | Bluetooth: None | Audio: works | Keyboard Layout: British (PC 105 alt) ]
  (#68) Old
Default 05-23-2010, 11:12 PM

I grew up with Microsoft starting with DOS on an IBM XT. I got an iPhone 3G two years ago and loved it, so I thought I would try a Macbook Pro.

Now we have a couple of Macbook Pro laptops and an iMac desktop. The only Windows machine we have left is a laptop issued and maintained by my employer. We love Mac OS X. It’s just so simple and elegant. We still enjoy Windows and several Linux distributions via Fusion/Parallels, and I use some professional applications with no suitable Mac alternatives.

With three kids, it is tough to lug around the Macbooks. Cheap netbooks are completely expendable; we are not worried about them getting scratched, wet, dropped, or lost. Each of our Macbooks are more than 12-15 times more expensive than the little Dell Mini 9 that we literally take everywhere. The Mini is not so great for Photoshopping large images or encoding video but it is great for a lot of other things on the go.
  (#69) Old
Default If I Knew how to put Win CE on it I would! - 05-26-2010, 12:43 PM

Need to get the Atom CPU running to an acceptable level,
so I just wanted to get an OS that runs a little cleaner and compact than microsoft stuff, and Ubuntu is a little too rough for my style

12" Inspiron 700m | XP pro | (great machine, but wont run Win 7, too bad dell doesnt make a decent 12" notebook now)
Inspiron 910 | OS 10.6.3 | 2 Gb | 32 Gb SSD
Inspiron 910 | Win 7 pro | 2Gb | 32 Gb SSD
Inspiron 1011 | OS 10.6.3 | 2 Gb | 80 Gb SSD
  (#70) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 01:52 PM

ITS A COMPUTER THEY DO THE SAME THINGS . .lol jk . .the only reason why i tripple booted my netbook was becasue
1. my friend said it couldnt be done
2. i use windows 7 for work a lot
3. i use linux for my own personal devious needs even more
4. and the mac os, well thats jsut more of a shock value install . . wanted to be like hey peep dis . .
5.and really like chamelon bootloader and havent figured out how to install it in linux.
personally i think the boot time with an ssd drive and 2 gigs of ram on osx is horrible while linux and windows 7 its liess then 15 seconds, on osx its about a 60 seconds.

the only thing im trying to find to finish off my netbook is a half size wireless card that supports packet injection . . . and uses 3 antennas (cause i already installed the third antenna) for all three OS's i have installed mac osx ubuntu and windows 7 prof

« Extract OS X from install disk? | Kernel Panic on normal Boot [After sucessful install] »