General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#51) Old
Default 01-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by mattkins99 View Post
I'm like Scooter. I'm not a Mac person... I think I have about 7 computers at home not counting the mini 9 and all are running Win 7 or XP (Vista was crap and the xp machine is only running xp because it's around 8 years old I think) Really, the mini 9 is just a toy and for $30 why not try out OSX.

Really though I'm thinking about just putting Win 7 on it. I store a lot of TV shows, music and movies on a central computer and I can't access the files from this machine no matter what I try. I find OSX kind of fun and not bad for surfing the web, but I find when I want to do anything more than that... I end up using Remote desktop and connecting to one of my desktops.
I agree with Mattkins99's assessment. In fact, I've already switched my Dell Mini 9 to Win 7 HP and it is every bit as responsive as OS X Snow Leopard, without the need to tweak for audio, microphone, and Apple's desire to crush support for the Atom processor (no wonder, rumor has it the iSlate will be some sort of modified ARM device). I'm using a Windows Home Server and streaming audio, video, and pictures is much easier on the Win7 setup than OS X was.

Other than the "cool" factor of OS X on a Dell, I don't think it offers much beyond what Win7 does (OK - better virus protection, but MS Security Essentials is free and very effective so far).

Dell Mini 9/2gb/128gb ST/Win7 Speed Demon
  (#52) Old
Send a message via AIM to PacJack360 Send a message via MSN to PacJack360
Default 01-08-2010, 11:46 PM

I have a mini 9 and I run OS X on it mainly for the fact that I have a lot of knowledge with Windows and I know my way around Linux quite well too, but I've never used or messed with OS X in any way before my mini 9, so I wanted to explorer and fiddle with it. I've loved it so much I've even bought an Apple keyboard
  (#53) Old
Default 01-09-2010, 03:03 AM

Partly because I already have a Mac (another Hackintosh, in fact, and made by Dell :P, which runs beautifully apart from the fact I have to hit ENTER at every boot, and the lack of support for the HDMI output) and partly for the challenge.

Honestly, though, it wasn't a challenge at all, at least when just dealing with OS X. Throwing Windows into the mix (dual-boot) showed my why I left Windows as my primary OS about a year back. I had to try the Windows install four times before it would work. Windows 7 is great, but it's still Windows. For example, on my mini's OS X partition I can use Firefox as a primary browser, but I am forced to use Chrome with Windows because it is so slow to load FF. Now, that might be because it's on the 2nd partition, but I'm not so sure.

The other reason is that the experience is more unified. Most every program is alike in its interface and styles, and Apple's done a hell of a job with its UI because it can make almost any program gorgeous, even Chrome (which was only ugly under XP).

I do currently have a dual-boot of 7 Ultimate and Snow Leopard, but I have been thinking of deleting the 7 partition and reclaiming some space, because I never boot into 7 anymore. It's sad how an OS that is not designed to run on, and is illegal to run on, the mini 10v is better than an OS that is bundled with the device.

Dell Mini 10v | Base Model with 6-cell battery | OS X 10.6.6 with NBI 0.8.4 special
Dell Inspiron 1525 | 2 GHz Pentium Dual-Core | 3GB RAM | 160GB HDD | Intel X3100 | OS X 10.6.6
Custom-built PC | 2.9GHz AMD Athlon II X3 | 2GB RAM | Radeon HD 5770 | Windows 7 Ultimate
  (#54) Old
Expert Member
Default 01-09-2010, 03:06 PM

In addition to my previous post, I also wanted to dabble with making iPhone apps.

(#55) Old
Default 01-16-2010, 10:16 AM

I got my Mini 9 specifically to run OSX on it. For me its a complete laptop replacement. My workhorse machine at home is a Mac Pro, but I wanted something that traveled really well but could still be expanded out into a makeshift work machine when needed. I'm an OSX preferenced person from the start, I don't hate Windows or Linux at all, just not my preference. I feel OSX is a definitely more stable than Windows, has less security flaws, and I generally like the UX and UI experiences a heck of a lot more. Plus, OSX integrates into my workflow seamlessly with MobileMe, Dropbox, and all of my other OS specific systems. Not to mention all my licensed applications are for OSX and not Win.

This machine has been nothing short of amazing and runs the full Adobe Design suite flawlessly. The SSD has enabled it to be a powerhouse performer and I do not have a single complaint. Its safe to say this was the #1 best purchase I made this year with the biggest ROI in my opinion.

 Mini 9 | 64 GB RunCore Pro IV SDD | 2Gb Crucial RAM | OSX 10.5.8 | NBI .8.2 | BIOS A05 | No BlueTooth
 Mac Pro 1,1 | 128 GB Kingston V-Series SDD (startup) | 4Gb RAM | OSX 10.6.2
  (#56) Old
Default 05-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Pretty simple really. I have spent all of my life using windows pc and have got to the stage where i felt that i wanted something that just worked with minimum hassle.

Also my aging sony vaio kept playing up and i didn't want to shell out for another windows machine.

i have just got sick of blue screens of death and errors, viruses, malwares the list goes on.

So brought mini 10v with 6 cell battery for £159, xbox hdvd drive for £18 and SL for £25.

very happy with the result and now am saving for a 'proper' mac to replace a windows machine.
  (#57) Old
Default 05-08-2010, 03:44 PM

I honestly didn't plan on it at first. I thought it would be an neat project but when I went to buy my mini the glass finish and higher resolution on the 1010 drew me in and I gave up on the idea. The 1010 was just much nicer than the 1011.

After I found out that the 1010 had been hackintoshed I had curiosity eat away at me for a month+. I've never owned a Mac and I like projects. I've installed all different kinds of flavors of Linux on here, Windows 7 since release and it finally got to the point where I said screw it, I have to try OSX. It's not about productivity or one being better than the other, I just wanted to do it for the sake of saying I did it.

Now that it's on here I rarely go into Windows on here because of how right OSX feels on this. I still have Windows for torrents and video but anything besides that I am in OSX. I actually get some extra battery out of OSX as well so it's an added bonus.

So really, now that I end this rambling mess the main reason I did it was because I could. Added nerd cred is just a good bonus.
  (#58) Old
Default 05-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Why? Because my grand grand grand dad name was Dr. Frankenstein.

Mini 10v, BIOS A06, OS X 10.6.6, Linux-Mint, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
  (#59) Old
Default 05-09-2010, 01:33 AM

Great Thread first of

The dell mini 10v serves as a companion portable machine for anyone who is bound with a desktop model. Since i own a design firm, i cannot purchase a macbookpro and take the risk of something happening to it on the road. So, i decided i would buy a small portable machine to do routine tasks.

Ans since i dont have 1000 for a macbook...or 500 for an ipad (i never wanted one, but i went to best buy and at 1st sight)....

an OSX Netbook fit the price and solved the solution. Literally it is faster than the stock windows 7 and....its a mac!
  (#60) Old
Default 05-09-2010, 04:23 AM

I just wanted to see what the hype was about and bought SL and installed it on my Mini9.
It's a tad faster than Win7 Ultimate. I only do 2 things with my netbook, surf the web and watch movies/tv shows.

mini 9 : Black, 2GB, 16GB SSD, OSX 10.6

« Extract OS X from install disk? | Kernel Panic on normal Boot [After sucessful install] »