General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 12-27-2009, 05:47 AM

What I did manage to do is to create an SMBIOS.plist file that changes the way that my 10v is identified by other Mac computers in my house. It also allows me to get the RAM to show the correct speed in 'About This Mac'.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen shot 2009-12-27 at 2.44.03 PM.png  

Mini 10v | N280 | White | 2GB RAM | Webcam | Bluetooth | 80GB X25-M SSD | OS X 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | VoodooPowerMini | A04 BIOS
MacBook | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | Unibody | 4GB RAM | 320GB 7200rpm HDD | OS X 10.6.2
Mac mini | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2 | PLEX Media Center
iMac | 2.8GHz Core i7 | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2 | Belongs to work
  (#12) Old
Default 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Thanks Nezil - at least good to know I am not the only one. Mine are identified separately on the network so no worries there.

Happy New Year everyone!
  (#13) Old
Default 01-03-2010, 11:39 PM

I'm seeing the same problem.

I've got an airport extreme with an external disk. Multiple mac's have backed up to it for some time without issue, including my original mini9.

I just enabled backups for a second mini9 today. At first it grabbed/overwrote the original mini9's backups.

I managed to get them to back up seperatly, by removing the original backup sparsebundle, and telling them both to start backing up at the same time. They each made a backup bundle with their own machine names.

Trouble is a few hours later they'd both switched to using the same sparsebundle.

the bundles are names correctly when they're created, but it looks like thats not what actually connects a bundle to it's machine. The .ethernetaddress file doesn't appear to exist for the new machine which is odd, but there is one for the old mini9. However the old one is now picking up the new machines backups. Are these files still used in snowleopard, as they're all dated as pre-sl, and the new machine which has only run sl doesn't have one?

(#14) Old
Default 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Did a little more digging, and agree it's probably the UUID.

inside the sparsebundle is a file "" which contains the key/values:

It looks like the Mac address AND the UUID are used, but the UUID is the one that matters.

There are some kext's out there which mess with the UUID (platformUUID.kext?), but I'm bit sure I want to mess with them just yet...

(#15) Old
Default 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM

Just picking this one up to say I fixed my problem by partitioning the USB drive I use on my Airport Extreme for Time Machine. However, I changed the password on my Airport while doing this, and that caused problems. I had to manually delete the entry with the old password in the keyring list to make it work. Now I am successfully backing up two 10vs and a Mac Mini to the same disk.

10v - A05 - OSX 10.6.2 - NBI 8.3

« which external dvd drives work? | Which rename app is better? »