General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Questions on how to upgrade from 10.5.6 to Snow Leopard - 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM

I have a Dell 9 with 10.5.6 Leopard installed. I bought the retail copy of SL and about to upgrade but I'm a little confused after reading all the threads here.

Should I use the Netbookinstaller method or use the method with 2 usb drives found in the OSX Guides section.

I don't have an external DVD drive. I have an 8gb flash drive. What should I use to copy the retail dvd to the flash drive on my PC? Thanks for the help!
  (#2) Old
Default 12-18-2009, 04:10 PM

My advice would be to clone the drive (for migrate assistant) and do a clean install. It seems like, from reading up on this board, that it's more work to upgrade than it is to wipe and install. I could be wrong on that, but my experience was smooth as silk with a clean install on a 10v...
  (#3) Old
Default 12-18-2009, 06:01 PM

if you're a PC geek, run to Fry's or some other computer store and buy a USB to IDE adapter. I think I got mine for $20. I then pulled out the DVD drive on one of my desktop machines and used that for the DVD drive on the mini... only later did I find out I could have just used the HD-DVD drive from my xBox... damn... would have gotten some use out of it again :-P

« no battery? | software update (its been a while ... whats safe?) »