General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Question Best Specs for 10v With Mac OS X? - 12-14-2009, 12:07 AM

What is the best build i can do with the 10v mini that will be compatible with Mac OS?
Such as upgrading ram, processor, battery, wireless card, ect with the choices they give me on the dell custom build for the 10v.
Is it worth upgrading some of this compared to the base model.
I would like to get as much as i can in one step.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 07:40 PM

RAM, get 2G. You can never have too much RAM.

CPU, whatever. The N280 is a little faster, but I doubt it makes any real difference. You probably couldn't tell just using it.

Battery, get the bigger one if you plan to be without AC power for a long time. I've run about 2 hours on battery and OSX claimed I'd have about 2 more.

Wireless, the 15xx (wifi-N) card is apparently problematic. I don't have it, so I don't have details. The wifi-G card works fine for me though.

I don't know if the cell-internet thing works in OSX or not, I just use my cell phone via Bluetooth. I do suggest you get that if you think you might use it. It's easy to install later though. I also went with the 16G SSD, but I don't need much space on this machine. OSX and all the apps I generally use take up about half of the drive. I wanted it for durability, having lost a HDD to a fall made me like the idea. It's also a pretty quick little thing compared to the 5400 rpm drives you usually see in these things.
  (#3) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks, i wasn't sure if there was any hardware issues between the two processors, the larger ram coming straight from dell, and with the wifi cards. There were no other posts i could find on this topic and specified what would work. Considering most people just bought the base model, and upgraded from there.
But now i think i know what im going to add.
So you don't know if Bluetooth works?
I don't know if its worth getting whether it works or not...

« Got a 3G-enabled smartphone and BT Mini? Try Internet Sharing | Purple tint on blue in Snow Leopard »