General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Terminal as Desktop Background - 12-06-2009, 03:54 AM

On my linux box, I have a terminal set up to run in my desktop background. Does anyone know how to go about this on OS X?
  (#2) Old

Default 12-06-2009, 05:01 AM

No on the interactive terminal, but GeekTool can overlay the results of commands on your desktop, refreshing them at set intervals. Some things I use it for (on my larger machine, I try to keep my Mini fairly clear) are for overlaying the next couple of days from iCal (via icalBuddy), and keeping tabs on a server I keep back home.

Vostro A90 1.6GHz/2GB/32GB SuperTalent 10.6.6
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 2.8GHz/4GB/1TB+500GB, 10.6+Win7
Mini 1012 1.66GHz/1GB/160GB Win7 Pro
  (#3) Old

Default 12-07-2009, 11:59 AM

Geektool has already been mentioned and is great for displaying output from commands.

I also used something called Visor (visor:visor [docs]) for a while. It's not what you're asking for, but it lets you define a hotkey which slides down a terminal window from under the menu bar (and slide it back again). Might give you what you need. Note that I haven't used it for a long time and don't know how up to date it is or whether it runs on Snow Leopard.

Another possibility might be Quicksilver - it's an application launcher (plus a load of other things). This would let you quickly start up a terminal. For example, I would open the Quicksilver window with a hotkey, then hit '.' (for text entry), then type in my command (e.g. ifconfig), then hit tab, then hit 'r' (to "run in terminal") and finally hit return. That takes a lot less time to do than to describe. Quicksilver would then open up terminal and run my command in it.

I know the above aren't what you are asking for, but they might give you some of the functionality you are after.

EDIT ... sorry just thought of another possibility. You could set up your preferences in terminal to make the background transparent, then run it all the time. You'd have issues with it coming to the front, but it might be a 80% solution for you.

Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.8 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | BIOS A05 | 16GB STEC SSD

« Is SD card slot functional in OSX? | Problems with method 2. »