General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Exclamation Help! Kernel Panic! - 12-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Hi guys,

I just installed SL via the external enclosure method. Everything was going swimmingly, until I tried to install NetBook Installer. I got a kernel panic, and no matter what I do, I now get a kernel panic.

To clarify, I did:

1. Installed SL whilst still in enclosure;
2. Updated software. DID NOT install 10.6.2, instead manually downloaded 10.6.1 from the website;
3. Ran NTM 0.8.2 - shut computer down and placed HD back into mini;
4. Disabled USB Legacy Support, USB Wake Support and Bluetooth in BIOS;
5. Installed NBI final - don't this finished and am now getting a kernel panic.

This has nearly gone to plan, so any help would be appreciated. I don't fancy having a Dell Mini 10v Brickintosh ;-)

Edit: photo of screen:

BTW, from my understanding, am I meant to install NBI 0.8.2 final, restart, followed by 0.8.3 RC4?

(#2) Old
Default 12-11-2009, 08:01 AM

did you happen to upgrade snow leopard to 10.6.2 when you installed it to the external?

Mini 10v | A06 | N280 | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | 802.11 b/g/n | BT 2.1 | OS X 10.6.3 | Win 7 Ultimate | Mint Isadora | MeeGo 1.0
  (#3) Old
Default 12-11-2009, 01:56 PM

A06 right? I replied to a post several days ago when you first got the kp. Ony check the ".aml" file on 8.2 then run 8.3rc3 with the regular items checked.

Dell Mini 10v Mac OSX 10.6.2 1 GB RAM 160GB HDD BIOS A05 Blue Tooth 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |
  (#4) Old
Default 12-12-2009, 04:13 PM

So, whats the update on your Kernel panic snkhan?

2 days ago I decided to put together a little hackintosh for my mom a a christmas present and all went swimmingly. Dropped from A06 to A04 no problem and installed. Had some trouble at first with wifi, but resolved the issue by switching the router channel. The only other thing I did was run the netbookinstaller.

So i give the computer to my mother to play with, and she does nothing but surf the web for a minute and then shuts it down. Now, when I boot i get a Kernel Panic and that is so not cool.

I used a retail copy of snow leopard for the install and I believe NBI 8.2. I will go ahead and admit my status as a n00b. Anyone care to take my by the hand and fix this? I'll do whatever. I just want to have a nice present for my mother.
  (#5) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM

Hey there,

The trick is to persevere. I had to install using the enclosure method 4 times before I got a KP-free install.

Also, I am using the original BIOS that came with my Mini, which is the A06 version. I'm unsure whether having A04 makes the process different.

I installed SL directly to the HD whilst it was connected to my iMac. Did the updates, installed software and moved files. Then downloaded the 10.6.1 update from Apple, ran NetbookMaker and shutdown before replacing the HD in the mini.

I then went into the BIOS to disable the USB legacy and bluetooth support. Booted up, ran Netbook Installed 0.8.2 final. This was then followed by NBI 0.8.3 RC 2 and RC3.

I had to run RC3 a couple of times, as I kept on getting kernel panics. I found that touching the trackpad every couple of minutes helped the system not get into a kernel panic (there might be a technical reason behind this).

Then restated, checked again to ensure the BIOS settings hadn't reverted. Then ran Disk Utility to repair permissions.

Once you get this working, I have no doubt that your mum will love it! Just make sure you disable automatic updates!

Dell Mini 10v | A06 | 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 RC5
iLife '09 | iWork '09
  (#6) Old
Default 12-20-2009, 02:09 AM

Well persevere I have. Reinstalled from scratch and all seems to be working. I've been able to restart and shutdown several times with no troubles. My only problem now is that I get no sound after I close the mini. I've seen lots of other people have had this problem and I hear updating to 8.3 fixes this. I'm still on 8.2. How does one update? Can I just run the new installer? Anything special required? Just figured I'd ask first.

kernel panic

« Solution for constant rebooting mid-point in startup? | Decal/Skin Creation Request »