General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default OS X 10.6.2 and Folx Downloader - 11-14-2009, 04:26 PM

I just updated OS X to 10.6.2 and noticed that Folx no longer does multiple thread download and resume function. Due to the single thread download now download speeds are very slow.

I'm not sure if these two are related but I haven't made any changes to Folx settings so I suspect it might be because of the OS X update. I tried redownloading previous Folx downloads that worked fine and they too had the same problems.
  (#2) Old
Default 11-15-2009, 02:05 PM

I had tried Folix before and it wasn't anything close to something like Speed Download. If you want a powerhouse, go with the full. The light version has many more features than every other DL manager I've tried. The best part of his software is the InputManager hack to swizzle downloads, which most others don't have. Intercepting NSURLConnections from a WebKit based browser is impossible without this; on Mozilla/Firefox, you obviously have thousands of options, namely FlashGet.

Search the software sites if this does not meet your requirements. I know there is a free one that is done by a good coder called 'iGet' or so. Unfortunately, making a robust download manager is quite intensive, even with apple giving away a somewhat functional stub of code via the developer site. And, with how lacking your basic apple categories are compared to tools that have been around for ages like wget/curl, you could easily just keep a text file and use their facilities.
  (#3) Old
Default 11-15-2009, 05:04 PM

« rescue image disk and dual boot experience | Enable quiet boot »