Hi. I'm struggling to install 10.6 on my Dell Mini 10. I have a 160 GB drive and am running BIOS A11. I do not have the HD screen version. Here are the steps that I am following:
On My Mac Pro:
- Format a USB drive (a 320 GB WD Passport) with 1 partition.
- Using Disk Utility, restore my OSX Snow Leopard Install DVD onto the blank USB Drive (takes about 15 min.)
- Run Dell Mini 10 -Mini12 NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 RC4.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?tyemnmxozh) and apply it to the USB drive.
On My Dell Mini 10:
- I change the firmware to disable USB Wake Support.
- I plug in the USB drive and reboot using F12 to temporarily change boot devices and boot from the USB drive.
- The computer boots into the Mac OS X Installer. I format the internal hard drive to 1 partition (MiniHD) with a GUID partition table.
- I run the installer, and deselect all options and click Install. The installer begins installing with a Time Remaining of About 19 minutes.
- After about 1-2 minutes, I get a kernel panic. ("You need to restart your computer...")
I have tried the above steps many times. And every time I get the kernel panic while the installer is running.
Do I have faulty hardware? Has anyone else followed this process and gotten this to work?
I would greatly appreciate any hints or suggestions or feedback.
If I can get this to work, I would happily write a guide for newbies with all the steps that I did and share it with others on this forum.
(FYI, I did get my Mini10 to run OS X 10.6.1 by a following the manual steps earlier in this thread. I got many kernel panics when writing data to my internal hard drive, but I was able to work around it using rsync instead of SuperDuper)