General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default Re: Can Someone Post How-To for Cloning OS X??? - 02-04-2009, 04:22 AM

Has anyone had any success installing OSX with this method? Im waiting for my 32GB Runcore and want to figure out how to install OSX on it via my mac mini and the Leopard disc that came stock. Given that I already have a mac, an OEM leopard disc and an SSD drive that I can plug into my mac, this is the simplest method for me.

Excuse the noobness, but I dont see why an OEM Leopard disc cant be used to install OSX on the Runcore, cant you just fool the mac mini into thinking that you are just performing the first system install that everyone does when they first boot up their new mac and then transfer the SSD to the Dell Mini? Any comments are welcome, I'm trying to learn here.

OSX 10.6.4
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Can Someone Post How-To for Cloning OS X??? - 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM

OEM versions are keyed to the model with which they ship. Using an upgrade disc even on another kind of mac would be difficult, if not impossible.
That said, we tend to only discuss using retail discs not only for practical reasons but for ethical and legal ones as well. If you want to use OS X, pay for it.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A04 | NBI '51 | 16 SSD | 2 GB RAM | BT
  (#13) Old
Default Re: Can Someone Post How-To for Cloning OS X??? - 02-04-2009, 04:58 PM

I haven't done this myself but will be soon. I want to be able to install OS X once, and push the cloned image to new hard drives or new minis on the fly. My attempt will be as follows (all PC by the way):

1. Create a bootable USB drive using HP Drive Key Boot Utility, FAT32 (
2. Copy Norton Ghost over to the flash drive (I think ghost.exe is all you need)
3. Norton Ghost can then image/clone the hard drive to another hard drive and can be restored later.

My understanding is Norton can image HFS+ Partitions and Hard Drives, one could also use Acronis True Image Home 11 and/or Workstation 9 can also image HFS+ drives (drives not partitions).

If this doesn't work I will be trying to get Norton Ghost working on my BartPE usb drive, which I've already created from my Windows disc.

« Mail app freezing when starting | My Mini 9 won't boot (type 11 install) »