General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by tudor2 View Post
I have Snow Leopard installed on my computer and I'm guessing that prevented me from copying SL to the flash.
I don't think that's the issue since I upgraded my Mini to SL via the method #1 instructions using a Macbook Pro running SL.

Originally Posted by BKR2879
Dont use a SanDisk drive with the U3 stuff on it, those are a nightmare.
I've not had any issue with these and Hackintoshing. I just uninstall the U3 stuff and reformat. before use.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB | 16GB STEC | .3Mp | No BT |
BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI .8.4 RC1.1 (20100616212351)
Sleep: Working | Speakers: Working | Headphone Jack: Working
  (#12) Old
Default 02-11-2010, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dankass View Post
Every single time I have tried to restore the OS 10.6 install dvd to my 8gb flash drive, I have received "input/output" error.

When I view the contents of my flash drive after the attempts, it always looks identical to the contents of the dvd itself, yet netbook maker will not even recognize my flash drive partition.

Have yet to see a real solution for this on any forum I've checked out. Huge bummer.
I also was having this issue. I just booted from the SL DVD instead of being logged into OSX and used the Disk Utility off the dvd. Took 2 hours but it finished

Hope it works for you.
  (#13) Old
Default 03-14-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by nikecmh View Post
I also was having this issue. I just booted from the SL DVD instead of being logged into OSX and used the Disk Utility off the dvd. Took 2 hours but it finished

Hope it works for you.
tried that. no luck.

im now trying a different HD... will update progress

(#14) Old
Default 03-20-2010, 07:10 AM

The problem that I am having is that Disk Utility won't let me drag the "MAC OS X Install DVD" to the Source box. In fact, my "MAC OS X Install DVD" is grayed out. Even though above it is not "PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTS08".

I am running Snow Leopard on my Mac Mini. I have the retail DVD of Snow Leopard in my drive. I have a 8GB USB Flash drive plugged in. I partitioned the USB drive (1 partition, Mac OS Extended, Master Boot Record, yada yada). But it's when I go to the Restore tab and try to drag my Snow Leopard Install DVD over to the Source box, it won't let me. Dragging the USB Drive "OSXDVD" to the Destination is no problem.

Does anyone know how to get around this? Is this because I am running Snow Leopard on the computer instead of Leopard?

Thanks for any help.
  (#15) Old
Default Errors: "input/output" & "cannot allocate memory" - 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by aldus View Post
I haven't seen anyone offer up a fix on this ... and it doesn't appear to be the media that people are trying to use as their USB install source. I'm getting this error, and a variant of it, using several different approaches, and still am making no progress.

I'm using a retail disc of Snow Leopard. Have been trying to use 1.) brand name 32 GB USB stick that I used previously to install Leopard on my Mini 9 (which went pretty smoothly, using the DellEFI method.) 2.) brand name 8 GB SD card, w/ USB adapter (following up on one of the earlier suggestions in this thread). Using a 2007 MacBook, running 10.6.2, as the Mac to partition, and restore the DVD to the USB media.

I tried at least 4 times, with both the USB media, following the Netbookinstaller method as outlined <A HREF="">here</A> (and is quoted above). Each time I got the error message about being unable to allocate memory AND at one point, got an "input/output" error.

It seems strange, but I'm beginning to think it's the retail disc. I got the disc to update my 2008 MacBook Pro and it went fine (the reason I didn't use the MBP for all this is that it's now developing mechanical problems with its DVD drive; part of the reason for the Mini 10v Hack is so I have a backup machine!).

But the disc seems to be the factor in all of this ...has anyone been successful in getting past this stumbling block and how?

Thanks, and a specil thanks to everyone working on making this possible.
The problem aldus outlined above is the exact same problem I had. All of several attempts resulted in either the "input/output" error or the "cannot allocate memory" error.
Finally, I tried a different external USB DVD player and it worked perfectly the first time.
  (#16) Old
Default 06-22-2011, 02:56 PM

I know this is old but just in case someone is having the grayed out problem, all that means is that the disc is not mounted, click on the grayed out disk and click the "mount" button, your disk should mount and then you can drag it.

allocate, memory, restore

« Help plz: disk erase failed with error posix reports cannot allocate memory" | **OFFICIAL** Mac OS X 10.6.4 Update Thread »