General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Post Is there a way to swap Alt Gr and Delete keys under Mac OS X - 10-24-2009, 08:12 AM

I upgraded from Win XP on my Dell Mini 9 to Mac OS X Snow Leopard and am very pleased with the results...but with one niggle.

When typing on the Dell Mini 9 (UK keyboard) I found the Delete key (which is just to the left of the left-arrow key) was easy to press when moving the cursor and consequently I kept deleting unnecessarily. Previously on Win XP I decided to re-map the Alt and Delete keys (which was easy to do) and I also physically swapped the key caps too. It was much better.

Under Snow Leopard, despite searching and reviewing both DoubleCommand and Ukelele - neither of them lets you swap the Alt key - it seems like it is deeply ingrained in the hardware somewhere.

So - does anyone know if there is a way to remap those two keys? Or should I switch them back again and risk pressing Delete when I mean to move the cursor?
  (#2) Old
Default 10-24-2009, 09:25 AM

Check out "KeyRemap4MacBook" application.
It does allow for some remapping of Delete key, but I think not directly to ALT. Perhaps there's another work around that'll be OK for you. In any case, it's a nice app to have.

The only other option, I guess, would be to tweak and recompile the source code for the ApplePS2keypad kext. I've seen some posts about that on various forums.
  (#3) Old
Default 12-03-2009, 06:34 PM

any updates for this yet? Dell mini 10v supported?

Mini 10v | N270 | OSX 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | BIOS A05|
Mini 10v | N280 | OSX 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | 1GB RAM | 160GB | BIOS A05|
Dell Mini 10v OSX FAQ

(#4) Old
Default 12-03-2009, 08:26 PM

should be able to do it through System Preference -> Keyboard/Mouse

Mini 10v

« Let's fix the "Not Charging" Issue! | Problem with Method 4 - Direct Install from Mac to SSD/HDD »