General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Hybrid Mac/Windows CD: How Do You Access the Windows Part? - 10-15-2009, 09:24 PM

A little background info: Back in the day, a lot more software worked on both Windows and Mac. Since it was more costly to market two SKU's (and consumers didn't like purchasing different versions) software manufacturers would place both versions on the same disc. To complicate matters, the old Mac OS didn't like standard CD-ROMs very well, so a hybrid CD containing both a standard (Windows) ISO section and a Mac-formatted section, each with the respective software. Over the years this practice has dwindled, but there are still some discs created this way, such as the Mac OS X Install DVD's which include a Windows section (the first 500 MB) for the BootCamp drivers and software.

Now to my question: How would one be able to access the Windows portion of a CD? Mac OS defaults to only one section, the Mac part, and doesn't mount the Windows section at all.

And in case anyone needs a reason: A lot of that old software runs on the Classic (Mac OS 9 and below) environment, which doesn't work on Intel Macs or Leopard. I have Crossover Pro, which would allow me to run the Windows version just fine, but I can't access the files through Mac. (I suppose I could always take it over to a Windows machine and copy the files to a new ISO, but I digress. I'd rather find a solution.) And yes, I do have Windows 7 on another partition but if I wanted to run this software on Windows all the time I wouldn't be asking, now would I?

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

« Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? | Question on Larger Dell with MAC OSX, not Mini 9 or 10 »