First of all, thanks for the replies. I'm impressed by how nice you are here to a newbie like myself. So thanks alot
I did what was suggested. Edited the boot.plist to include the UHCIreset key, set the hibernate mode to 0, and disabled Legacy support in the bios.
Booting now works great. The spinning wheel appears every time, and booting works like a charm. Funny thing actually, booting is faster than my 2.4Ghz unibody macbook (!).
Sleep works...mostly. Going to sleep works (After which the power led starts pulsating). Waking up works with the power button or opening the lid.
So far so good. The problem that I'm noticing however is restarting afterwards. It shuts down but does not boot up again (While the power-led stays on). This means the system is powered up and hangs.
A normal shut down, and manual bootup does work fine however. Its just the 'restart' command that doesnt. So this is a minimal issue that, imho, is not a problem as long as you keep it in mind. Who restarts OSX anyway ;-)
I got interested in the hibernate modes, so I searched around a bit. Mode 0, that seems to work fine for the mini9, is also the most interesting one. It does no longer utilize the sleepimage, meaning you can clear another 1 or 2GB disk space depending on your RAM size. Yay!
When the lid is open it seem to only wake using the power-button..which makes me think this kind of sleep is not exactly the same as how Apple hardware does it. Could it be that this sleep is comparable to 'Standby' on Windows systems? In other words: Would it die after a few hours on a single battery charge, or survive 2 weeks like apple hardware does?
Anyway, let me write down exactly how I made the changes from a 'fresh' NetbookCD install on a Mini9, bios A04. I hope it will help others, altho I dont take any responsibility if your laptop blows up or something ;-)
1. Pre-install: During boot hit '2' to enter the bios. Make sure you disable 'USB Legacy Support' and 'USB Wake'.
1. Install Snow Leopard using NetbookCD, follow the manual. v1.0 didnt work for me but the 1.0d NetbookCD worked like a charm.
2. Update to the latest version of SL
3. Wifi should be working (if it doesnt, use an usb drive) and get the latest version of NetbookInstaller on your system. I used v0.8.3 RC3.
4. Run NetbookInstaller. Choose your drive volume and select the options. I checked: Chameleon 2 RC3, mini9 extensions, Generate dsdt.aml, fix bluetooth. Hit install, authenticate if asked. Reboot.
5. Open a terminal (Terminal.app).
Enter the following: sudo nano /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
Hit enter and authenticate if asked
Use the arrow keys to navigate to the end of a line ending with: </string>
Hit enter, and paste:
Make sure the end result looks something like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs$
<string>c6000000010000000200000061000 [...] </string>
Hit control + X and choose 'Y' to save.
6. Still in the Terminal app, enter: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
Hit [enter] and authenticate if asked
7. Enter: cd /private/var/vm/ and hit [enter]
Enter: sudo rm sleepimage
Hit [enter], authenticate and confirm deleting the file (if asked)
Thats it..at least for me
Thanks for all the help guys!