General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default NetbookCD 0.8.3 Final - Chameleon Bootloader CD for Netbooks - 10-08-2009, 03:13 AM

Updated 25 December 2009
NetbookCD 0.8.3 Final is now available. It contains the same software as NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 Final, so you can use it with 10.6.2 systems.

NetbookCD is based off NetbookInstaller/BootMaker by meklort. NCD allows the user to install Mac OS X from an external DVD drive, thus eliminating the need for a specific OS to help in the preparation process. It can also be used to boot into Mac OS X after installation is complete or to boot into a installation with a damaged bootloader.

A guide has been written for using NetbookCD which is available on my site:
NetbookInstaller 3: Installation via External DVD Drive using NetbookCD | Guides | OS X | mechdrew. You should check my blog for any updated information as it comes. (Do not follow the guide on the ISO, it is outdated.)

Only one CD is needed now, the same version will work for both 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard.

NetbookCD 0.8.3 Final direct download links:
ISO
Compressed ZIP

Please only post comments and questions regarding NetbookCD in this topic. I will probably not respond to questions started in other topics and will probably move/merge them here anyway if I find them.
Thanks to all who helped in testing, and of course big props to meklort for all of the hard programming behind this project!

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

Last edited by mechdrew; 12-26-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Updated Sotware
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 10-08-2009, 03:27 AM

Awesome!! nice work

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old

Default 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM

sweet, but do i have to keep wasting a cd after a new nbi comes out? im not in the mood to go get a rewritable

Alienware M15x|Black|BT|GT 240m|Intel i5|Windows 7 64-bit|
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDKwutName View Post
sweet, but do i have to keep wasting a cd after a new nbi comes out? im not in the mood to go get a rewritable
wasting a CD.... *roflmao*

CD -Rs cost how much these days? Like $0.03 (USD)

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM

There's no need to burn a new CD unless you are installing Mac OS X again and want whatever new features are on the CD to be available during installation. For most people it is a one-time download. If you ever need to update your Mac installation you simply download and run the latest NetbookInstaller app.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#6) Old

Default 10-08-2009, 04:26 PM

This is great news. Good job on all your hard work as this should allow more people access to OSX86.

Mini 9 - 32GB RunCore SSD - 2GB Kingston HyperX - 1.3 webcam - Mac OS X 10.6.2 - NBI .8.3 RC4 - Bluetooth [On] / USB Legacy [Off]
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-08-2009, 04:56 PM

Sweet. I'll be trying it out today. No clue if the DVD drive I'm going to try using it with will work, but it's worth a shot.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Okay, new question I just thought of. Is it possible to use it from USB drive? Not USB CD/DVD-ROM drive, but a USB key. I've already got a disc burned, but anything to take up less space in my gadget bag, the better.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-08-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
Sweet. I'll be trying it out today. No clue if the DVD drive I'm going to try using it with will work, but it's worth a shot.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Okay, new question I just thought of. Is it possible to use it from USB drive? Not USB CD/DVD-ROM drive, but a USB key. I've already got a disc burned, but anything to take up less space in my gadget bag, the better.
I have actually discussed this with meklort. This is definitely possible and he is looking into a cleaner method and way to create the USB (instead of CD) and clone OSX to the USB.

I do not know how you would currently do this, but in the future there will hopefully be "revamped" methods using something similar to NetbookCD but on a (1) USB bootkey method and (2) USB key method for Windows.

These would involved restoring the OSX DVD to a USB using Transmac and using the NetbookCD (or NetbookUSB for Windows) as a bootloader and it will be similar to the NetbookBootMaker method for the Mac.

(#9) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-08-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
I do not know how you would currently do this, but in the future there will hopefully be "revamped" methods using something similar to NetbookCD but on a (1) USB bootkey method and (2) USB key method for Windows.

These would involved restoring the OSX DVD to a USB using Transmac and using the NetbookCD (or NetbookUSB for Windows) as a bootloader and it will be similar to the NetbookBootMaker method for the Mac.
This is actually an ongoing project of mine (the USB boot key) ever since I wrote my first guide for setting up a USB boot drive from Windows (with the old DellEFI methods.) NetbookCD came as a learning opportunity to help me not only update the boot CD methods, but to learn how Chameleon actually works. It really won't be that hard to make a Chameleon boot image for USB in a similar fashion. However, simply copying the contents of NetbookCD won't accomplish that, there is a file that needs changed and a few tweaks are necessary. But just so you know, that's what I'm looking into next.

(#10) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Rock on. I'm looking forward to further developments from that front!

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides

« NetbookInstaller/NetbookMaker img files? | Dell Mini 1010 Hackintosh »