General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Question Regarding Chameleon - 10-05-2009, 04:41 PM

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I did look around on the web and forums here to try and get a better understanding but had no luck.

It's my understanding that Chameleon overwrites the MBR track upon install, thus getting rid, for instance, GRUB if it'd previously been installed. I had a Windows/Ubuntu dual boot system going and backed up before installing OSX SL using Netbook Boot Maker 8.3 RC1 to install OSX as well. As expected, Chameleon appeared to overwrite the MBR and install over GRUB. Since Chameleon didn't support my Ubuntu partitions, I decided to restore my MBR with GRUB. After doing this, when I booted from hd0,2 (where OSX is located), to my surprise, it booted into Chameleon. So I have a few questions:

-Does this mean Chameleon is installed on my OSX partition itself?
-Is there anyway to remove Chameleon without it compromising OSX's ability to start up?
  (#2) Old
Default 10-05-2009, 05:45 PM

chameleon is necessary as it emulates the EFI necessary to boot OSx. The best you can do is re-run netbook installer and check 'enable silent boot' to rid yourself of the chameleon splash screen.

Dell mini 10v OSx 10.6.2 | Windows 7

« Thread section upgrade | 10v with 10.6.1 and stuck pixel »