General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default How to boot after installing OS Updates? - 10-03-2009, 03:58 PM

I have searched the forum and cannot find the answer to this and experimenting has left me with either a grey screen hang or a panic message.

I have successfully installed and booted both Leo and SL on a Mini 9 with these great tools. But after updating (both with SU and manually) I can no longer boot. I've also tried running booting from USB and running NBM again after updating, same problem.

What is the correct method for installing OS updates?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 10-03-2009, 06:31 PM

From my website:
Originally Posted by mechdrew
1. Close any other programs and save all work (if necessary).
2. Open the Combo Update package on the USB drive.
3. Press Continue three times, and then press Agree.
4. Press Install, enter your password, and then press "Continue Installion.
5. After installation is finished, press the Restart button.
6. At the grey screen with the blue progress bar, press any key before the timer runs out.
7. Type "-x" so that is looks like "boot: -x" in the bottom-left corner.
8. If successful, it should boot into Mac OS X Safe Mode. Enter your password to login.
9. Go to the Applications folder and run NetbookInstaller.
10. Select the following settings:
* Volume: <your internal drive>
* Install Chameleon 2 RC2 bootloader
* Install <your model name> Extensions
* Generate a system specific dsdt.aml file
* <Any other options you would like, the above are necessary.>
11. Press Install.
12. Enter your password and press OK.
13. When installation is complete, press OK.
14. Restart your computer.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old
Default 10-03-2009, 06:38 PM

Boot in safe mode with the -x option during grey screen start.
Then run the NetBookInstaller app to reinstall the Dell drivers?

Good luck...

yeah and what mechdrew said!
  (#4) Old
Default after NBI installation via safe mode and restart, cannot get OSx to boot at *ALL*. - 11-21-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mechdrew View Post
Hey Guys..I have been having some issues completing the install of the most recent updates for Mac OS X (10.6.1 I think it was - I have Snowleapard <10.6.2 but have yet to install it) onto my mini 10V.

I Followed the steps outlined in the note above while in safe mode and everything seemed to be fine. I am seeing the following messages displayed in Chameleon, when the mini continually loads with the backwards timing bar titled OS X install disc/DVD

-When trying to boot to my volume -->"Untitled 1" I get: "Hibernate image is too old by 41656 seconds. Use forceWake=y to override. Can't find mach_kernel.10.5.6" It repeatedly comes back to the same single option; the apple with "Untitled 1"

Questions: Should the Dell start-up screen be displayed upon system restart even though I've got OS X on it? That probably *IS* the case.

at present I cannot even enter via safe mode using the "-x" command that was mentioned above. Any help you can send my way would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

**UPDATE**...Found the Mach_Kernel mod and got it to go. Sweet! Thanks alot!! So in closing..the Dell start-up screen and the "Apple countdown timer bar" with the grey screen are standard issue for this Hackintosh set-up? Bit different than loading from a Mac I guess. I am still getting that "Hibernate image is too old" Msg. Is there any way to eliminate that? Not a big issue really.

thanks for the GREAT info.

« Touchpad dies on wake | What Is The Most Compatible NIC For OSX? »