General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Warning: Don't Upgrade to Snow Leopard YET. - 10-03-2009, 11:08 AM

If you have a working OSX 10.5.8 system, if you are just starting out with Mac, netbooks etc. have a serious think about what is really happening with Snow leopard and its place in the development of OSX. Be aware that most serious business users will be waiting probably at least until next summer before they consider upgrading.

OSX was a historic and heroic effort to take personal computing to a new high level. While it has done just that, it was at incredible expense to both apple, its directors and its end users.

The development of a new system requires that it be let loose on the public at some stage so the developers can get feedback and tidy up the product. Bill Gates once said "Thank God for all the people who bought our products before they were ready". If you don't want endless hassel, wait a while until the worst of the problems come to light and are cleared up.

The first two generations of OSX were a disaster for serious users. OSX 10.4 eventually ended up quite stable. Even OSX 10.5 only eventually became useable by version 10.5.5.

Why do you think Snow Leopard has been so long arriving? Its been incredibly difficult to develop. Possibly the 64 bit boot has something to do with it. WHATEVER THE PROBLEM IS, IT IS BIG. Despite the long wait and access to the prototypes, the third party developers have also failed to iron out a lot of their problems. Epson, for example has a hell of a lot of printers out there with no drivers.... And Apple is the backbone of the desktop publishing industry!

Anyone doing anything much more than checking emails is going to quickly discover a morass of minor bugs and intermittent faults. Just google "Snow Leopard problems" for a glance at the tip of the iceberg.

I am using Macs at work and at home since the 1980's. At work, having had 10.4.11 working for a couple of years faultlessly, I moved up to 10.5.8 last month. I had already upgraded several macs between those two systems and was aware of some potential pitfalls of that process which seem to be generally unknown. The point is, I'd already made all my mistakes with less important material at stake before I changed the critical systems over.

At home, I do try to start using a new system as soon as possible.... but not too soon. I generally wait until the Epson Laser printer drivers are working at least and flash charts stop messing up on trading software. That may take several months after initial release. At least wait until the core Apple software is working properly and you are sure you really can export your files safely.

I've been using SL for a week several hours daily on a new iMac. While it was fun in many ways, I found about 10 different flaws that made me have to reboot back into 10.5.8 to get around them. It's just not worth the hassel. I'm over the infatuation stage. I'll reload the backup clone I made and be patient til next summer. OSX 10.5.8 works great on everything from Mini 10v up to MacPro. Why suffer?

PS: If you want to play with it like I did, at least make sure you have a bootable clone made with SuperDuper or similar before you upgrade. Subscribe to Dropbox at Put any files you create into it so you can access them easily if you want to downgrade again. That way you can have pretty painless fun.
  (#2) Old
Default 10-03-2009, 01:32 PM

Interesting... I've been using SL on two Macs, my Mini 10v, and two PCs since launch, and have had very few problems.

I quit using Epson printers years ago, mainly because of their poor driver support on ALL operating systems.

I'm sure you've had some issues that have soured your experience, but overall, for most users here, I'd say we expect "interesting" issues. We ARE running an OS that is not designed or intended for our machines!
  (#3) Old
Default 10-03-2009, 01:46 PM

I've been using SL on all my MACs and do not have any problems. No compatibility issues what so ever with anything.
  (#4) Old
Default 10-03-2009, 02:27 PM

What were the ten different flaws?

Dell Mini 9, Alpine White, BIOS A05, 2gb RAM, 32gb SuperTalent SSD, 1.3mp, BT, 10.5.8
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 10-03-2009, 03:38 PM

I have not had any issues at all with upgrading to Snow Leopard.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#6) Old
Default no problems here - 10-03-2009, 03:44 PM

i use SL on my mini 9 every day. not a single issue.

as another user asked, could you please describe in brief at least the 10 issues you have?

my use is limited to firefox, mail and calendar synced to exchange, terminal to ssh into remote servers, and a couple games. perhaps the issues you have lie in other areas?
  (#7) Old
Default 10-03-2009, 05:18 PM

I’m an Apple certified support technician, I support fifty or so machines, most of which are usually running the latest OS, and I’m in the process of upgrading them to Snow Leopard right now.

While I agree with what you say about having a backup (and SuperDuper is one good way of doing that) I can’t agree with the rest of your comments. There are a few minor glitches in Snow Leopard, mainly with Exchange sync, but it’s entirely usable on a production desktop, and except where there are specific issues that clash with this, I can - and do - recommend it to every Mac user. Hackintosh users not so much, because of the moderate effort required to get it working, but if they can handle that, go for it.

This sounds to me like a troll. Would you mind listing the issues (or some of the issues) that you find? Assuming you respond, you might find some solutions. Worst case, you’ll find people corroborating your experience. However, if I’m right and you are trolling, you won’t respond at all, or will respond with vague hand-waving and generalisations. If I’m wrong, I’ll apologise.

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun
Dell Mini 9 2GB RAM | 32GB STEC SSD | 16GB SDHC | Bluetooth (fixed) | 1.3Mpix cam (with iGlasses)
BIOS A05 | Legacy USB off | OS X 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2b5 | UK keymap (fixed) | Meklort's trackpad | DropBox & .Mac
  (#8) Old
Default 10-03-2009, 05:28 PM

I have not had any problems with SL, ever.

Good way for you to advertise your dropbox invite though.

Dell Mini 10v / OS X 10.6.6 / NBI 8.5 / 160 GB HDD / 1 GB RAM / A05
  (#9) Old
Default 10-03-2009, 05:31 PM

i'm going to be harsher to the op than the other posters............this thread is crap

OS X 10.6.2 mini9 32G Supertalent 2G Mem apple audio fix but still no sound after sleep 0.3 Cam Bluetooth module (BT disabled b/c i can't turn it off in the menu, lol)
macmini os 10.5.8 1st gen overclocked G3 os 8.6
  (#10) Old
Default 10-03-2009, 06:40 PM

The world is full of opinions which is a good thing & I appreciate the OPs opinion. Though reading through the statement/observation I would have to say that the same could be said about most things software related & most software companies (won't mention any names ).

Personally I've had no problems on the whole with SL on both my imac or my Dellmini & find it both faster & leaner.

Dell Mini 10v | N270 | A04 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | Mac OS 10.6.6 | Bluetooth | Usb Legacy OFF
DropBox Referral

« 100 Snow Leopard Tips, Tricks, and Features | osx for pc users »