General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Unhappy Time Machine/External HD Partitioning Accident. - 10-01-2009, 06:57 PM

okay, im sorry if im posting this in the wrong part of the forums but I don't know which category to put it in.

what happened was, I have a 1TB external HD for Time Machine. I realized I still had about 300-400GB of extra space, so I decided to partition out 200GB in Disk Utility for other backup uses. Since it showed the time remaining to be almost an hour long, I didn't want to bother Disk Utility doing its thing, so i left it alone. however I forgot to turn timed-sleep/hibernation off, so when I came back to check on it, it had already gone to sleep and thus ejecting the external HD while it was still being partitioned. a message popped up to say it failed cause the HD was ejected.

Now i'm left with 99GB of free space. and the HD has not been partitioned.
I have lost over 200 GB free space to what the external HD thinks is used space.

is there a way to recover these disappearing GB's?

again, sorry if its in the wrong part of the forums.
any help is highly appreciated. thanks!

Dell Mini 10v // 160GB HDD // 1GB RAM // Intel Atom N270 // BIOS A05 // Intel GMA 945 //
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 10-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Use Disk Utility to repair the disk, it may be able to catch the partitioning error.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

hard drive, partition

« Need Help: How to Install Windows 7? | Is it really necessary that there is only 1 partition on the ext. usb-install-drive? »