General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default Re: I Joined The Club - 10-08-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by mypup I used one of these hooked to my desktop bout 10 bucks.
@ mypup, the link's not working. Could you tell me what it is so I can find it. Also, you say you had it connected to your desktop, but I want to be sure someone has used it successfully with the Mini 9, preferably to do the OS X conversion to be sure it works before and after.

Love the price, though.
  (#12) Old
Default Re: I Joined The Club - 10-09-2008, 02:38 AM

Looks like an IDE to USB adapter.

How do you power the drive with one of those?
  (#13) Old
Retired Mini user
Default Re: I Joined The Club - 10-09-2008, 02:52 AM

Most of those USB to IDE/SATA adapters come with a separate AC brick that includes a molex (4-prong) power connector.

Getting an iPad
  (#14) Old
Default Re: I Joined The Club - 10-09-2008, 09:00 PM

Yes that is what i used to install to my mini 9 and they do come with or without a brick. I mentioned I had it hooked to my desktop as I pulled the side door open on my desktop unhooked the hard-drive (to the desktop) plugged in the ide end of the adapter to my dvd drive of the desktop and hooked the usb end to my dell mini 9 I didnt use a powerbrick as the drive is powered from the desktop so then I just installed the windosx86.iso (from the net) to my dell mini 9. I used the same procedure to install os x to a usb hard-drive as carbon copy sometimes doesn't do it for me. Now I have a copy on the usb drive just in case.

Dell Mini 9 | 32GB SSD Runcore | 2GB RAM | 1.3 mp WebCam | OS X 10.6.2 | USB Wake Off | Legacy Support Off | Bluetooth Module On | A05 bios | NBI 0.8.3RC3 | Geekbench 2 Score 985 |  Mac Pro 2008 | 2 X 2.8 GHz Quad Core 45-nm Intel Xeon E5462 (Harpertown/Penryn) processors | 16GB 800 MHz DDR2 Ram | ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB GDDR3 | Geekbench 2 Score 12296 |  MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2009) | 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 4GB 1066MHz | Geekbench 2 Score 3907 |
  (#15) Old
Default Re: I Joined The Club - 10-13-2008, 03:57 PM

I was able to get OS X 10.5 loaded on my machine with the help of my friend. I'm still experimenting with it as I was previously not a Mac user. I've never had anything against Macs, just never had use for it when school and work all revolved around Windows. So this seemed kind of fun and I'm glad to say that it's an awesome tool. I may keep it on there for a while. Only thing I'm having trouble with right now is shutting the computer down properly, though I understand there's a patch out there that will fix that (?) My friend's helping me look into it, but for now I managed to even get my brother into it. :P

Primary: XPS M1210 | Core2Duo | Vista Ultimate | 3GB RAM | 250GB HD
Secondary: Mini 9 | Pretty Pink | XP Home | 64GB SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth | 1.3MP Camera
  (#16) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: I Joined The Club - 10-13-2008, 04:14 PM

It can sometimes kernel panic on shutdown when running on the batteries. It's a very peculiar glitch that seems to be related to the audio drivers. Worst case, if you can't be plugged in when shutting down, after you get the grey kernel panic screen, just hold the power button down for 10 seconds or so, and the computer will power off. It's a hack..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED

« The Little Leopard Laptop - A how-to post on | Failed install no matter what i do »