General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default I've messed up my install. Help me fix it? - 09-26-2009, 01:42 PM

Okay, I've got a mini 9 (2gb & runcore) with 10.5.7 installed. Now I bought the mini 9 second hand and it had osx already installed. Everything has always worked great so I've left it alone and not touched anything.

I'm pretty sure it's been setup with the dell efi method, the battery has always been rubbish and only lasted 2 hours so I believe the voodoo kext wasn't installed (I checked the the kext folder - it wasn't there).

So I decided to run netbook installer, hoping it would install the missing kext and anything else. I also figured it was a good idea to get more familiar with the process for Snow Leopard one day.

I booted into safe mode and ran netbook installer 0.82, rebooted and got stuck on a blue screen. I've tried safe mode and single user but they get me another blue screen and a root command line respectively.

I'm fairly computer literate but come from a linux / windows background and I'm a bit lost. Obviously, I've been a bit of a prat and should have just installed from scratch when it arrived. I'd appreciate any help, thanks,

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Taking an (un)educated guess, I believe it's just the display that's broken. I say this because if I leave it alone, I can press the power button and nothing happens unless I then press enter. It then shuts down.

So I imagine the shutdown prompt is coming up and I'm selecting shutdown.

I've tried plugging the mini 9 into an external monitor but the display is just black on both screens.
  (#2) Old
Default 10-01-2009, 01:42 PM

Just bumping your thread, so perhaps you'll get a reply... I'm a clueless newbie, so I can't help, sorry!
  (#3) Old
Default 10-01-2009, 06:16 PM

Thank you I appreciate that but I gave up waiting and just did a fresh install from scratch last night.

(#4) Old
Default 10-01-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by model citizen View Post
Thank you I appreciate that but I gave up waiting and just did a fresh install from scratch last night.

I was going to recommend that or a copying your current mini9 to your second with disk utility. If you were unable to get into safe mode or single user mode, I am not quite sure what other diagnostic stuff you can do prior to wiping and reinstalling.

Mini 9 - 32GB RunCore SSD - 2GB Kingston HyperX - 1.3 webcam - Mac OS X 10.6.2 - NBI .8.3 RC4 - Bluetooth [On] / USB Legacy [Off]
  (#5) Old
Default 10-02-2009, 07:25 PM

if you've got an image of leopard, or snow leopard lying around you could try the following:

Make yourself a bootable USB key with the NetbookBootMaker
When you're installing, pull up the pane that lets you 'customize' your install.
Deselect everything except for "Base system files" or something like that (its the only thing you can't uncheck)
Then just install. Make sure you do not format during the install.

this should get you running properly.

(I'm not sure if this was the desired method, but it worked when I had similar difficulties)
  (#6) Old
Default 10-02-2009, 09:18 PM

With the ease of the mechdrew steps, after making a bootable USB key of OSX, its easy install.

The trouble and confusion comes with wanting to dual boot OSX with something Windows7.

I was going to go through this, but heck..if I need Windows, I'll just go to my beefy lack-luster desktop machine and use windows.

Dell Mini Mac 10v is really for convenience..and OSX is just right for convenience.

« Glossary for Non Mac types | Projector output connection to Mini 9 »