General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default where are those +5gb free space promised for SL?? - 09-21-2009, 01:58 PM

i did a fresh install of sl, and copied all apps and docs from my backup.
i was a bit suprised to see that free amount of my 16gig hd was exactly the same as before.

i guess i did something wrong during installation, as i didn't customize it, correct?

so how do i get rid of all the stuff i don't need.

i already let x-slimmer remove language files and only leave 32bit code. but that didn't help a lot.

thanks
izeman
  (#2) Old

Default 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM

I did a custom install, no printers and no extra languages. Afterward, I deleted the hibernate file and the Alex voices. My install is using < 5GB which gives me 11GB free on my 16GB SSD.

For what's installed, I think that's a pretty good.
  (#3) Old

Default 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM

It's just an Apple marketing jargon.

What really happens is the OSX installer requires 10+GB to perform a full install, but at the end of the installation, a script is run to remove unnecessary components which could add up to 5GB of free space.

 MINI 9 | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | BT | 16GB STEC SSD | OSX 10.6.8 (NBI 2351+Legacy Kernel+SleepEnabler)
  (#4) Old

Default 09-22-2009, 04:38 AM

And.. Apple switched to the base 10 method of calculating space, rather than base 2. This makes it look like you have more space, when you really don't.
  (#5) Old

Default 09-22-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
It's just an Apple marketing jargon.

What really happens is the OSX installer requires 10+GB to perform a full install, but at the end of the installation, a script is run to remove unnecessary components which could add up to 5GB of free space.
so then this script doesn't seem to have run ...
can i start that manually, or see if it was run at all? which data should have been removed?

---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanoRex View Post
And.. Apple switched to the base 10 method of calculating space, rather than base 2. This makes it look like you have more space, when you really don't.
that's even worse then. i now have the same amount disk free as before. so actually this is LESS than before, as i shows bigger values now
  (#6) Old

Default 09-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Sounds like you ran xslimmer, monolingual et. al. during your original Leopard install, correct? Well, your reported lack of disk space gain sounds about right. Remember, Snow Leopard has no PowerPC code in the executables, so, that's where alot of the disk space freeing is coming from, which xslimmer gives/gave.

On my MBP, I gained about only 2GB when I upgraded to SL.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB | 16GB STEC | .3Mp | No BT |
BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI .8.4 RC1.1 (20100616212351)
Sleep: Working | Speakers: Working | Headphone Jack: Working
  (#7) Old

Default 09-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Installed SL and updated to 10.6.1 yesterday night on Vostro A90 with 8GB SSD. I had to modify the OSInstall.mpkg to remove the additional voices (697 MB) and one more component (200MB) not sure which one I removed (most probably oxford dictionaries or java.. I haven't cheked yet) so that the installer will not complain of insufficient disk space. I followed the guide here:
Advanced 2: Multi-Boot Configuration | Guides | OS X | mechdrew
I didn't modify the Localized.strings, because by doing so the installer was crashing. So I left out that part. I I detect that I have removed java, I will probably reinstall it by downloading it. I didn't remove any other components. After doing this and disabling the hiberantion, I see about 3.3GB free reported by OS X. Also note that QE/CI status are not reported by System Profilers in Snow Leopard (apple changed the policy). There are some links elsewhere to test whether QE/CI is enabled (check screensavers, chess, Front Row etc). Everything works except for mic and headphone. I didn't run monolingual or xslimmer.
Anyway, on 10.5.6 with other essential components removed(e.g. iTunes, iCal, DVDPlayer, MigrationAssistant, AddressBook, Automator etc) and after monolingual run, I had only 1.5 GB free. So definitely the install foot print is less compared to 10.5.x. And I have most of the essential components installed and still have 3GB free.

« dsdt.aml, restart/reboot problems resolved | Snow Leopard on 8gb Mini 9 »