General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default New runcore, easiest way to dual boot XP and OSX with Chameleon? - 09-19-2009, 11:26 PM

New member here. Just got a Dell mini 9 last week and have been playing around with it. I ordered it in order to dual boot Win XP and OSX, but I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to set it up. I just ordered a Runcore 32gb ssd and a 2gb memory stick, anticipating that they come in early this week.

With that said, I've read many of the guides on this and other websites, and have read through most of the big revelant threads. I'm still not 100% sure what my plan should be, to dual boot XP and OSX with the Chameleon GUI bootloader.

Here is what I have to work with:

* Macbook Pro
* Windows PC
* OSX Leopard retail install DVD, 10.5.6 I believe
* Windows XP Home Retail CD
* 2x 2gb USB flash drive

I don't have an external DVD or CD drive, but I might be able to borrow one if it is absolutely necessary. Likewise with an 8gb USB flash drive.

From what I've read, I think I should start by installing OSX onto the runcore SSD using this guide: How To: Load OS X DIRECTLY onto RunCore FROM a Mac.

This requires the Macbook and the Leopard install DVD. I'm sure I could figure that out, but I'd also like to install Windows XP (dual boot) and Chameleon as the bootloader.

Here I'm absolutely lost. When/where do I partition the disk? Do I need an EFI partition? How do I install Chameleon? I've read that OSX must be on the second partition? Should I create a third partition for common media (documents, mp3s, pdfs, etc.)?

Can anyone walk me through this or link me to something relevant? I'm short on tools (no external drives) so a lot of the guides are irrelevant. Also, a lot of the software used seems to be dated (DellEFI? NetbookInstaller? doesn't Chameleon replace these?)

I feel like this is a really common setup (dell mini 9, runcore ssd, win xp + osx dual boot, chameleon GUI bootloader) but I can't seem to find the right guide.

Would appreciate any and all help. Thank you.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-20-2009, 02:10 AM

You can start reading this:

Although the post is mentioning DellEFI, you can probably replace it with new NBI.

Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - 2 GB RAM - 32 GB RunCORE SSD - OS X.6.5 - Bootable External USB HD 320Gb with OS X, WinXP

Apple iMac i7 - The beast in a suit
2x Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB STEC SSD - OS X.6.5 - NBI 0.8.4RC2 (??)
1x Mini 10v - Obsidian Black - 2Gb RAM - 160gb hdd - A06 OS X.6.6 - NBI 0.8.5pre - Everything enabled

« audio | Closing Lid = Freeze? »