General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default app to monitor/show which app accesses harddisk - 09-17-2009, 07:42 AM

as my ssd is working (being accessed) all the time, and i'm some kind of control freak , i'd like to know if there is some app that shows me what app (and what process of the system) is doing what with the harddisk.

this is some valueable information, as system becomes quite sluggish from time to time, and hd-light (modded battery led) not only blinks, but is lit for almost a minute. i'd like to identify the process that causes that, in the hope to solve that problem

thanks izeman
  (#2) Old
Default 09-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Well you could use 'top' from the terminal or if your after something prettier than do a search for 'istat menus' or atmonitor which are both SL compatible & free

Dell Mini 10v | N270 | A04 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | Mac OS 10.6.6 | Bluetooth | Usb Legacy OFF
DropBox Referral
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 09-17-2009, 01:54 PM

If you can deal with terminal take a look at my .sleep script in the thread linked in my .sig to the PCIe SDHC reader. It finds all applications that are accessing files on a specific drive (in the script it is the SDHC card but you can change that to the internal disk) and then stops them before dismounting the SHDC before sleep. You just change the script to print out the program vs terminating it and don't dismount the drive.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#4) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 05:09 AM

Are you running Xp, or Windows 7? If you are using an OS more recent than XP you can download a free gadget for the sidebar that will show you HD activity. I'm like you, I watch the HD access lights to see what is going on sometimes and I was missing it when I first got my mini.

The microsoft gadet gallery is here:

Windows Vista Sidebar
  (#5) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 07:35 AM

thank you all

.) 'top' is a good idea which i (as old linux user) already tried. did help a bit, but was not exactly what i was looking for.

.) i now use istat menu (which was causing some troubles after upgrade to 10.6 - but is resolved now by a fresh re-install of istat). this shows some valueable info (throughput of hd, cpu and so on) - and makes identifying of lagging processes easier

.) the .sleep scripts look promising. i'll try them out later today!!

.) this is an os-x only dell. no windows7 installed. thanks anyway!

regards izeman
  (#6) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 08:36 AM

If you really want to monitor all IO via OSX down to the disk then probably the best tool is to use dtrace via Instruments, or as OSX supports fsevents (a framework for monitoring and hooking to filesystem events), then the simplest tool to use is fseventer.

fseventer is explained and can be downloaded from fseventer [fernLightning]

(#7) Old
Default Use Unix lsof - 09-20-2009, 01:30 PM

Try the Unix lsof command (there is a man page but it's huge).

lsof /dev/disk0s2
/dev/disk0s2 is the device name for my boot partition, yours may be different. use the df command to see what it is:

Filesystem    512-blocks     Used Available Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2   233769824 96558792 136699032    42%    /
devfs                219      219         0   100%    /dev
map -hosts             0        0         0   100%    /net
map auto_home          0        0         0   100%    /home

MINI Cooper | 1.3L | 110 HP | 5 Spd | Sunroof
Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.3 | 2 GB | 32 GB SSD

« Closing Lid = Freeze? | Dell Mini: 10.5 vs. 10.6 »