General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#21) Old
Default 09-16-2009, 07:16 PM

I've had my Mini for almost a year now. I've had to reinstall things a total of one time since install due to an SSD failure. I run 10.5.6 and don't touch it. I don't do updates until I read the boards and find out if there are any issues, and wait for the fixes to be in place or the proess to aleviate the issues before I update and all is fine.

I am aiting to upgrade to SL until the sound issue is worked out right now.

As others have said, get it working, image it regularly,a dn don't touch it.

the time it took to get the original install working was well worth it. Since i don't muck around with it, I have no issues, so no heartburn or downtome
  (#22) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM

It took me 2 days of trying to get everything just right. Finally though, I just got SL 10.6 installed and working properly on my Vostro A90.

The sleep still doesn't function, nor does the audio yet. However SL has only been out for 2-3 weeks now. So it's amazing progress in so little time. I am currently as we speak updating my A90 to 10.6.1 and other software updates. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Big credit to the community and geniuses behind this OSX venture. It is worth a lot to me.
  (#23) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 02:51 PM

It's really nice to see what this community did.

I ordered my X10v just yesterday and I was really stunned as I read the Fool-Proof guide.

If it will really be that easy, props to the guys behind it.
I used an Asus Notebook as a Hackintosh about 2 or 3 years ago before I bought my iMac.

It was a nightmare to get started with, and I needed many, many tries to get a useable.
(And way more time to get all stuff running with hacks and drivers...)

So I think I will install 10.5.8 like in the fool-proof guide explained (hopefully with a new touchpad driver :P), and refrain from installing SL for a long time.

(And donate some bucks to keep you guys motivated of course. )
  (#24) Old
Cool 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM

Lesson learned. Maybe I'll stay away from the bleeding edge just a bit -- as soon as I get audio working.

Dell Vostro A90 | 2 GB Kingston RAM | 32 GB Runcore SSD | Bios Version A04 | 250 GB Seagate FreeAgent Go USB HD | Targus USB Netbook Cooler AWE9US | OS X 10.6.3 | NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1
  (#25) Old
Default 09-20-2009, 05:58 AM

I'm just interested in hearing everyone else's opinion. Has your Hackintosh experience been worth the effort?[/QUOTE]

I've had my 10v running 10.5.7 since the end of May with no issues other than the internal mic (use a headset) and the trackpad (use a BT mouse).
I've installed iLife09 and OfficeMac and have no issues.
I'm interested in going to SL but don't want to screw up a good thing.
I think I'll keep what I have. (Maybe get a 2nd 10v to play with...)
  (#26) Old
Default 09-20-2009, 07:12 AM

I'm just interested in hearing everyone else's opinion. Has your Hackintosh experience been worth the effort?
Heck yeah it has. I have enjoyed playing around with the iPhone SDK, my goal is to release an app even if its a free one. The install and upgrade to 10.5.7 was easy.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.7 | 2GB RAM | 32 gig supertalent SSD
  (#27) Old
Smile 09-23-2009, 05:56 PM

I have an A90 with OS X 10.5.7 running well, and would like to know if there is any instructions for doing a system back-up and restoring. I tried Time Machine, and CC Cloner but was not able the get the restored SSD to boot. I think I was missing a step. Any help? Sorry in advance if this is the wrong Thred for this question.

Thanks for this great community.

(#28) Old
Default 09-23-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by mrboult View Post
I can kind of understand the desire to have the newest software, but really If you're not prepared for the hassle then don't upgrade. I am happy sticking with my 10.5.7 because at this time I am not confident about any of the upgrade methods presently available. But it doesn't bother me because I'm so happy to have my OS X netbook!!
Agree completely. OS 10.5.7 with iTunes 9.0.1 and I am a happy camper. No need/desire to update at the moment. :)

« does it worth to go for mac os x | I'm lost.. does sound in snow leopard work on the mini 9 yet? »