General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Dell mini 9 powers down during osx boot - 09-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks to this great forum I had a lovely dell mini 9 running os x. Pretty fast too. I lost Blutooth functionality and unfortunately I made the strategic error or trying to reinstall dellefi. I got the grey screen with lines which i have previously managed to banish, then when i rebooted, the mini loads the dell logo, briefly displays chamaeleon logo then shows the apple logo (but the wrong one with a curved line across it and the wrong resolution - instead of the plain white logo on grey background) I then get the timer and then the screen goes blank, the power indicator goes off (even when plugged into the mains)and the machine is powered down.

I have spent most of the weekend trying to sort but my experience of this sort of thing is limited.

I get the error whether booting from 10.5.8 on the SSD or from a freshly prepared netboot installer 10.5.1 on the SDHC card plugged in via a USB card reader (i havent tried OSX from a USB as I dont have an 8GB stick). I thought maybe I had messed the bios, but cant find a way to re flash it as it says it is already that version.

Anyway in doing that i proved i could boot into dos with a flash loader USB stick without power down issue. Also managed to see windows 98 boot screen from a usb stick though it didnt seem to finish loading.

I tried to do dell boot 123 from an external usb dvd drive, like i did with original install but can't get it to load - I always found it a fairly random affair.

I really miss my mini and its pretty much a paperweight. I did try plugging in an external monitor just before the power problem arose (to try to solve the grey screen with lines problem) but didn't manage to get a signal on it, but I can't see that this has caused the problem.

I have tried to get os x to boot into safe mode but despite following lots of threads on here I haven't managed to do it when booting from SSD or SDHC flash.

I feel sure I must be doing something dumb and this is a beginners problem that has been covered before but I cant find a solution anywhere.Help wanted urgently

Ebb, Bristol UK

Black Dell mini 9|16Gb SSD|16Gb SDHC| 2Gb Ram|A05 bios|os x 10.5.8|dellEfi method, 10.5.1 retail disk & combi update
  (#2) Old
Default 02-20-2010, 10:57 PM

I have the same problem. Now I have a bare disk and am unable to get netboot installer to run and reinstall OSX. The Dell Mini 10V says that the disk has no OS (which is true, no efi either). What to do next? Another newbie experience...turning into a paperweight.

(#3) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Hi, and welcome to both of you!

You will probably find more specific help and advice in the section of the Forum devoted to your particular model, as there are separate areas for the Mini 9 and for the Mini 10v.

I am not familiar with 'dellefi' myself as the guides by Mechdrew, which can be found here are the ones which most members use, and which are very well supported.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

boot, osx 10.5.8, power issue

« Remote sharing with 10v | Disk Utility and ISOs »