General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Lessons learned upgrading to Snow Leopard on my Mini 9 - 09-13-2009, 06:57 PM

First I would like to say thanks to all the contributers who have posted their information to get this stuff to work. When I bought my mini 9 I got it to tinker with Ubuntu. Found this site, upgraded SDD to 32Gb, upgraded memory and went to install OSX.
I got OSX on here following guides using DellEFI with a dual boot with Windows 7 RC.
Upgrading to SL was a long day of issues while watching football

This is where I messed up and hope it helps others.
1. Used TransMac to make the dmg on my other laptop running Windows 7 RC.
2. Used TransMac to format 8Gb USB drive with the dmg.
3. Putting that USB into the Mini 9 to run Netbookbootloader.

Discovered this wouldn't work and got the kernel panic error.
Found in a thread that you have to do the restore from within OSX.
1. Had 2 external hdd that I formatted to FAT 32 to put the dmg on to then plug into mini so I could do restore to USB.
2. Got the file is too large to fit even though the hard drives werre large enough. (It was very late when i was doing this and my friend mentioned later about the file size limitation of FAT 32.) NTFS isn't recognized on Mac so went to next step.
3. Copied the dmg to my Windows Home Server.
4. Unfortunately my 32Gb split in two didn't leave enough room to just copy over from server so I tried doing the restore to USB after I had formated it on my Mini.
5. Rebooted and got Kernel Panic again.
6. Found another thread that mentioned not formatting the USB correctly. Coming from a Windows world I figured putting an image on the USB would do whatever was necessary. I was wrong.

Now to do it correctly.
1. Opened up Disk utility and clicked on partition with USB being the selected target. Chose Extended Journal then clicked on options and chose Master Boot Record.
2. After partition was created then was able to restore the Snow Leopard dmg file to the USB.
3. Now up and running with everything working.

For those who don't have the Mini with OSX on it yet and are wanting Leopard and then Snow Leopard. You can use the DellEFi method to get OSX on it then upgrade to OSX 5.8. Don't bother messing with fixing the install with DellEFi to boot with the USB. If you share a location on your windows pc the Mini can find the dmg on the share and you can then restore to the USB your Snow Leopard dmg on the Mini that has your First Mac install on it.

Once again thanks everyone. Wish I would have seen those other parts that would have helped save me some time.

« Anyone know where to find About This Mac.pkg? | List of fonts to not delete in 10.6/SL »