General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Out of curiosity, did you disable the wireless? If it was connected over wireless, it might confuse the TC to get a wired connection form the same machine at the same time. If I had one here, I'd test it for you, but I do my time machine backups via USB or iSCSI, though I haven't set up the latter on the netbook.

Gigabit? I thought all the minis had was 100M. Still, that's going to be significantly faster than wireless G if the TC can keep up. This reminds me, I don't think I've even tried the wired port on my 10v under OSX. I should make sure that's working properly.
  (#12) Old
Default 01-03-2010, 07:01 AM

Anyone have any solutions to this problem?
  (#13) Old
Default 01-03-2010, 03:07 PM

Well there are two things that need to be checked.

1. Is the Unsupported flag set in your system? ie., did you issue
defaults write TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
2. To the best of my recollection, Time Machine can be picky about using en0 rather than en1.

While both of your network interfaces are active, your Network Utility, and see which one is called en0 and which is en1.

Then go to your System Preferences -> Network -> Gear/Cog symbol at the bottom left. Click/hold down on it and you will see the option to "Reorder Services". Try moving ethernet to the top slot, Apply, close System Prefs & restart.

Good Luck.

Dell Mini 10v w/ 2GB SDRAM, 802.11n & BlueTooth
Snow Leopard 10.6.6
2TB of NFS mounts courtesy of foonas-ized LinkStations
as opensource TimeCapsules (+ p910nd printserver & Firefly media server)
see for details on how to make your OS X experience richer with a modded NAS device
Time Capsule/Time Machine Support on Your LinkStation
  (#14) Old
Default 01-03-2010, 03:21 PM

i have this issue as well - over wifi, the little Dell can robustly connect to any machine in the house, including the Mac MINI which has the TimeMachine share hanging off it - but on hard line, anything which isn't simple browsing results in dropped network connections and TM is one that dies. Oddly enough, copying files around when on ethernet mostly never works if the source of the copy is the Dell but if I remote connect to another machine and push files back to the Dell, it always works. Feels like some weird timing issue with the ethernet handshake? Beats me

Wifi is ok for TM after the first big setup..

Dell Mini 10v, 10.6.7 160GB disk
  (#15) Old
Default 02-22-2010, 11:33 PM

having the same issues, i posted back to this similar thread, so if you are monitoring responses here, might want to follow this as well...
Can't connect to iMac on my network thru ethernet

ps. is there a better way for adding other threads? im new to this and i am not familiar with the formatting procedures
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-23-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by djchiper View Post
Is there a better way for adding other threads? im new to this and i am not familiar with the formatting procedures

In the same way that there is a small 'New Reply' button, just above the first thread on this page, you will see a similar 'New Thread' button in the same place on the index (or list) pages of each thread.

You would of course start a new thread in the Section most appropriate to your particular question!

Hope that helps!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

« OSX 10.6.3 and BIOS A06 | 1366x768 mini 10HD owners + Mac OS X »