General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default 8GB USB Drive too small in Transmac - 09-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Hi,

I don't have access to a Mac so I am using Transmac to format a drive using an image. Unfortunately the .dmg when uncompressed is around < 100mb too big for the USB drive.

Is there any way I can trim the .dmg to remove some files so that it fits my 8GB USB drive. I have removed the U3 software etc and it's freshly formatted. I'm struggling to think of a way to do this without the access to a mac

Thanks!
  (#2) Old

Default 09-10-2009, 12:48 PM

After some digging around, i'm wondering it this forthcoming guide will give me some clues: transmac | Blog | OSX | mechdrew

Is a sneak peak possible?

If not, my only other option seems to be getting a larger USB drive?
  (#3) Old

Default 09-10-2009, 07:05 PM

I've been bumping against that problem all week, and just resurrected a thread on it before seeing this one.

What I'm planning on doing when I get home from work is making a 10gig partition on the mini's HD (a 120g sata), and use TransMac to restore the disc image to that.

Then, I'll boot from that partition and install to a different partition. After all is said and done, I'll delete the install partition and increase the size of the other one to use the space.

I'll let you know how it goes.
  (#4) Old

Default 09-10-2009, 07:12 PM

Well, I just download HFSExplorer and I think I know what he did...

The retail dvd image has all the partitions on the disk in it, including, as he notes, the boot camp stuff. When you open the image with HFSExplorer, you can select which partition to open. With a partition open, you can create an new disc image with just that partition! The Mac OS X Install partition is.... 7.06 gigs. Woot.

I'll slap it on my flash drive when I get home in 2 hours and see how it goes.
  (#5) Old

Default 09-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemin View Post
Well, I just download HFSExplorer and I think I know what he did...

The retail dvd image has all the partitions on the disk in it, including, as he notes, the boot camp stuff. When you open the image with HFSExplorer, you can select which partition to open. With a partition open, you can create an new disc image with just that partition! The Mac OS X Install partition is.... 7.06 gigs. Woot.

I'll slap it on my flash drive when I get home in 2 hours and see how it goes.
So, the million dollar question: How successful were you with this method?

I'm doing exactly what you suggested now. I will report back soon.
  (#6) Old

Default 09-11-2009, 04:34 PM

No luck for me

I created an image from the 7.1gb partition in HFSexplorer and then created an image. I then formatted by USB stick in Transmac with the image I created before.

I'm using the 2 USB Windows only method. I follow the instructions and hit escape. I'm prompted to pick my drive. 80 is my smaller usb drive, 81 is my larger usb drive and 82 is the SSD drive (2 partitions - one being OS).

When I select 81, nothing happens. I'm sat at a command prompt with boot: If I press enter it goes back to the drive selection. Seems that hitting enter will not prompt the OSX installer from the larger USB drive.

Any suggestions?
  (#7) Old

Default 09-11-2009, 05:04 PM

So it seems the 2nd USB drive just isn't being found. It's a sandisk cruzer and the light appears on the drive, but I can't initiate the OSX installer. It is also recognised in the BIOS. I can type in a random number at the boot prompt and it behaves exactly the same as if I try to boot the larger USB drive.

If I connect the larger USB drive to my other computer and view it with HFSExplorer or Transmac I see all the files, exactly the same as the Mac OSX DMG file that is compressed or uncompressed in Transmac.
  (#8) Old

Default 09-12-2009, 05:10 PM

Any thoughts?
  (#9) Old

Default 09-14-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mada View Post
Hi,

I don't have access to a Mac so I am using Transmac to format a drive using an image. Unfortunately the .dmg when uncompressed is around < 100mb too big for the USB drive.

Is there any way I can trim the .dmg to remove some files so that it fits my 8GB USB drive. I have removed the U3 software etc and it's freshly formatted. I'm struggling to think of a way to do this without the access to a mac

Thanks!
Seriously, Transmac blows. I "borrowed" a Mac Mini from work to do all the DVD to USB/SD cloning.

10v SL 10.6.1 + Win 7 ENT Dual Boot | A06 to A04 BIOS | 2 GB Crucial RAM | 64 GB OCZ Vertex SSD | BlueTooth enabled and working | Sleep working (lid close/open) | Restart NOT working
  (#10) Old

Default 09-17-2009, 06:45 PM

i have the same problem.. i wish mechdrew would disclose his solution over this..

« PANIC! There will be Atom support in 10.6.2 | higher screen resolution for some apps needed »