General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Solution for constant rebooting mid-point in startup? - 09-09-2009, 10:42 PM

All of a sudden, my Dell Mini 9 running OS X 10.5.7 (prepped with an earlier version of Netbook Installer/Maker) will not boot up properly. About 30 seconds or so into the boot process, with the white screen+Apple logo+ spinning progress indicator displayed and things appearing to be proceeding normally, the screen will go black and the computer will begin the startup process from the very beginning.

It will do this over and over, it doesn't successfully boot up at all now. It had worked fine for some time before this.

I've tried booting into safe mode (using -x), but that doesn't solve the problem.

The problem occurred after plugging in an external battery, not one that replaces the internal battery, but rather one that connects via the AC adapter. I've used this battery successfully and without incident before, however, so it may be just a coincidence that the problem cropped up after connecting the battery.

The internal drive is a RunCore 64GB.

Does anyone have a solution, short of attempting a reinstall from scratch? I have the Mini 9 nicely set up for my use, so it would be swell to avoid going back to square one.

Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated.

(#2) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Having the same problem myself, but this was with Snow Leopard. I just finished re-hacking my mini 9 (bad SSD) and installed 10.6, and iWork. I ran a system update, and once that was done i started getting the constant reboot problem.. Did Apple kill my mini???
  (#3) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 01:13 AM

I had this happen with me after I updated to 10.6.2. It turns out I hadn't installed the 0.8.3RC4 bootloader properly. After I booted my install drive, I ran NBI 0.8.3RC4 making sure I included the bootloader, and it all worked afterward.
  (#4) Old
Default Is there any way to deal with this issue - 12-20-2009, 01:21 AM

without using an external boot drive?

« "Bluetooth DUN" Pop-Up, Every Start Up | Help! Kernel Panic! »