General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Question LoJack Security for Laptops - would it work? - 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM

I'm a student attending secondary school (called College in New Zealand).
I'm wanting to take my Hackintoshed Mini 10v along with me next year, preferably with some anti-theft software installed (just incase the laptop decides to take a walk-about).

Poking around in the BIOS, I noticed that Dell have included the COMPUTRACE security software.
After doing some Googling, I found that the software communicates between the BIOS (nicknamed the 'Persistence Module') and the installed monitoring application ('Computrace Application Agent').
I understand that the software does still function without the BIOS/Software communication, although it can be easily removed by a thief if the OS or Hard Drive is reinstalled.

Would the Mac software work (including BIOS to Software communication), given the BIOS/EFI differences between the Mini 10v and a 'real' Mac?
I assumed that since the Computrace software is already installed (in the BIOS) it would be the best option, but I'm not sure if it would work.

If it looks like it's not going to work, what are some other options for security and theft recovery?
I'm running Leopard (soon to be upgraded to Snowy) in a single-boot config.

Thanks for any replies.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-09-2009, 03:24 PM

(#3) Old
Default 09-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by grassle View Post
Thanks for your quick reply - Google did a good job of translation

I guess one way to check if it works is just to enable it in the BIOS, and see if the Application gets automatically installed when I boot... But then I run the risk of not being able to deactivate it!

I think I'll do a bit more Googling at alternative security software, or just risk without it - the laptop will be with me 95% of the time.
I will definitely look into this (LoJack with Computrace BIOS) if I end up installing Windows 7 or XP on my Mini, but OS X runs so well!
  (#4) Old
Default 12-16-2009, 08:14 PM

check out prey project

Mini 10v | N270 | OSX 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | BIOS A05|
Mini 10v | N280 | OSX 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | 1GB RAM | 160GB | BIOS A05|
Dell Mini 10v OSX FAQ

lojack, security, undercover

« GPS in os X, snow leopard? | no camera or sleep/wakeup on 10v OSX 10.6.2 Bios A00 »