General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Install Snow Leopard into a bootable SD card? - 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM

Hi Guy,
sorry for my english. I searched in the forum but have not found anything that
I could help. Can I install Leopard into an SD and use the SD as the internal
ssd? Like this video:

I have Dell Mini 9 - 8 gb ssd. Please answer me.

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 09-07-2009, 10:49 PM

Nope. Dell Mini 9 cannot boot from the SD slot. There is no software that can fix it either.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 09-07-2009, 11:05 PM

Well... technically you *can* boot from an SD card on the mini 9, but it requires a couple of manual steps.

1) Make the Leopard bootable drive on the mini 9 (this way, the SD drive is copied in).
2) Install Leopard onto the Mini 9's sd card as if it were internal. Do *not* reboot.
3) Erase the internal drive and format it MBR / GUID / Any way you want to. You *must* dedicate one partition, say, 50mb, for the Leopard bootloader.
4) In the terminal do the following steps
- Copy over /Extra to the boot partition
- Copy over /mach_kernel to the boot partition
- Copy over /System/Library/Caches/ to the boot partition. (This is for snow leopard, not needed for Leopard)
- Install Chameleon 2 RC3 (included in NetbookInstaller / NetbookBootMaker) to the boot partition.
- Finally, tell the boot partition to boot off of your sd card. To do retrive your snow leopard partitions UUID (using Disk Utility). Edit Extra/ so that the kernel flags say "root=uuid uuid-root=<leopard partition uuid>". Not that I probably have that line wrong (google is your friend).

That should be it. Lots of steps, but it works (well, I've only tried with Leopard).

I'm planning on making NetbookInstaller do this automatically *if* it detects that you are trying to install to the SD card, however it wont be in the next few releases if I get it in at all.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a invite? message me.

« What to "Software Update"? | OS Selector to install from win7 for SL »