General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Apr 2009
Modify MacOSX for MBR without a Mac - 08-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Ok so im following the triple boot guide win7,linux,osx using only windows.
Triple boot the MBR method
I have set up the partitions, installed win7 and ubuntu. Now I need to modify the MacOSX retail DVD to be MBR compatible. The instructions to do this are here
Advanced 2: Multi-Boot Configuration | Guides | OS X | mechdrew
But here is the problem this involves using a mac which I dont have!
Is there a work around to this?
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kanata, Ontario, Canada
08-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Read this over and see if it helps (it helped me).
Msi Wind Forums • View topic - Retail OSX install without reformat (install on MBR)
Create modified OSInstall.mpkg
1. Open terminal and type: "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES"
2. Restart finder by holding the option key and right clicking (or click and hold the left mouse button) the finder icon in the dock. Select "Restart Finder".
3. Create a folder "OSInstall" on your desktop
4. From your Disk image, copy the file /system/installation/packages/OSInstall.mpkg to the folder you just created.
5. In terminal, type "cd ~/desktop/OSInstall" and then "xar -x -f ./OSInstall.mpkg"
6. Move the file OSInstall.mpkg out of your OSInstall folder and back onto the desktop.
7. Open the file in your OSInstall folder "Distribution" in textedit.
8. Delete the line "eraseOptionAvailable='true'" (it's near the beginning)
9. Save and close the file.
10. In terminal, make sure you are in your OSInstall folder and type:
"xar -c -f OSInstall.mpkg *"
11. This creates a new OSInstall.mpkg in the folder on the desktop. The old OSInstall.mpkg file will be on the desktop. Trash it now.
11.From your Disk image, delete the file /system/installation/packages/OSInstall.mpkg
12. Copy the OSInstall.mpkg we created in 11 to this folder.
13. In terminal type: "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO"
14. Restart finder & eject the USB disk.
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features
| CLICK HERE TO ADD AN INTERNAL SDHC CARD | | CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE HACKINTOSH POLL |
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.