General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#21) Old

Default 08-30-2009, 08:40 PM

I'm aware of how to get to single user mode. I was more interested in what command sequence you used to make the user account. this is what i was working from: How to: Add a user from the OS X command line, works with Leopard! - OS X Daily Following that I ran into problems with creating the home directory and upon reboot into the gui it wouldn't let me use the user i just created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrintegra View Post
While in the boot screen, I selected the Snow Leopard partition and used the -s flag to boot. I have to mention that it takes a few tries before all of the kexts are properly cached in order for the system to boot.
  (#22) Old

Default 08-30-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskasteve View Post
I'm aware of how to get to single user mode. I was more interested in what command sequence you used to make the user account. this is what i was working from: How to: Add a user from the OS X command line, works with Leopard! - OS X Daily Following that I ran into problems with creating the home directory and upon reboot into the gui it wouldn't let me use the user i just created.
I'll second this request.

Edit: Actually I don't know where the cmnd key is located on a hackintosh, so I also need to know what's the equivalent cmnd + S.

Dell Mini 10v A05 N280 2GB 16GB Stock SSD BT Draft N Mac OS 10.6.2
  (#23) Old

Default 08-30-2009, 11:58 PM

It usually is the ALT button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusou View Post

Edit: Actually I don't know where the cmnd key is located on a hackintosh, so I also need to know what's the equivalent cmnd + S.
  (#24) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 12:04 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I created my admin account by going through the usual steps after being presented with the startup video when starting up in single user mode. The same exact way you would go about setting up an admin account for the first time in Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskasteve View Post
  (#25) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-31-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusou View Post

Yes, as mrintegra stated... "Command + S" on a Hackintosh Mini is equivalent to "Alt + S"

The Alt button is Command (or Apple key)

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#26) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 01:28 AM

Video in single user mode??? single user mode is a BASH shell, no video playback there.
Quote:
Sorry, I misunderstood you. I created my admin account by going through the usual steps after being presented with the startup video when starting up in single user mode. The same exact way you would go about setting up an admin account for the first time in Leopard.
  (#27) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Same here, I didn't have to setup an account in single user mode. System Config ran just fine after install.

As for getting sleep to work, I'm pretty sure you have to run the new "Kext Utility" after you install kexts with "Kext Helper" in Snow Leopard for them to work correctly. Mine is sleeping fine, although I haven't had time to figure out why it doesn't sleep when I close the lid, I'm still hitting sleep from the power button/Apple menu. It wakes up fine when I open the lid.

Look for TeknoJunkie's Snow Leopard Files package on Insanelymac to get "Kext Utility"
  (#28) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 04:45 AM

Well my mini keeps hanging on the first time set up. It gets stuck right on the transfer info from another Mac. I tried re-installing with the same results. I tried running netbookbootinstall from the installation window (under utilities menu,) that didn't help. I guess I'll try the single user mode. I googled creating an admin account and came up with this: Gain Administrative Control of Mac OS X - MacShadows KB I hope that works.

Well I've tried pressing alt-S at different times during start up. During the dell logo doesn't seem to be do anything. Won't work when it's counting down from 5 because that'll only send you to start up options. And at the apple gray screen it is too late. What am I missing?

(#29) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 06:01 AM

Ehh, I'm gonna try installing 10.5 and do an update from that. I've tried every other idea I had.

Ehh I'm so stubborn. At this point I will accept nothing less than 10.6 on my mini. I probably won't go to sleep tonight.

(#30) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 06:29 AM

great, do not sleep... we are rooting for you. We all want the snow as well.

« so the 10v works just as well as the 9 ? | Front panel lights »