General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#21) Old
Default 09-03-2009, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
1. The Mini 10v has no fan

2. I have owned a Mini 9 and a Mini 10v and the pictures are deceptive. The actual size difference is trivial and the payoff is great. I prefer my 10v over the 9 any day... which is why I got rid of it!! The better keyboard and the screen size make up for the slightly larger footprint.

3. I am not understanding the point you are making about the HP Mini 110. I think you are saying that it is much closer in size to the Mini 9 than the 10v is, while still providing the larger screen and better keyboard. I agree, the HP Mini 110 keyboard is very nice, as is the design and tiny form-factor. The thing I do not like about the Mini 110 is the awkward button positioning on the trackpad, though the 10v trackpad is nothing to brag about
1. No 10v Fan? Good to know. I was always confused about that.
2. Yes, the pics suck. No offense to the author. I've never seen a 10v in person but those pics make it look like a fatty 12"r ...
3. Right now I'm on the bench wrt the HP Mini 110 ... yes, size is just alittle larger than the DM9 but nice matte 10" screen etc. If it ran OSX flawlessly like my DM9, then I'd recommend it. Melkorts touchpad drivers work well on the HP. :-P Too bad so many other things don't (at least for my OSX 10.5.7 build w/ retail disc). And, believe it or not, you get used to the positioning of the buttons to the right/left of the trackpad. Really ...

Dell Mini 9 (96Gb) | White | SL 10.6.5 + Win7 Pro using EasyBCD 2.0 | 2G GSkill 667 RAM | No Webcam | BIOS A05 | 32G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | 32G SDHC (int w/ MR04 Card) | 1505 802.11n | Internal BT | Chrome Apple Logo
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features
  (#22) Old
Default 09-15-2009, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the pix. Notice any heat difference between the 10v and the 9? My 9 runs pretty hot. Also could you please provide the weight?

Trying to decide whether to purchase a 10v as the keyboard is pretty cramped on my 9 and that misplaced apostrophe mark key drives me batty. Based on all the comments it seems that the 10v is the way to go. I just don't want it so big that it defeats the portability purpose for me. Thanks!

* Dell Mini 9 * Atom 1.6GHz * Crucial 2GB * RunCore 32GB SSD * Mac OSX 10.5.8 *
  (#23) Old
Default 10-17-2009, 06:19 PM

Both are good i would say. if you prefer larger screen and keyboard and storage then 10v is the choice. Everything works basically. Either windows or osx.

But you have to remember this is a netbook. Netbooks are meant to be small, easy browsing, reading, watching whatever online. Not too much typing (im sure youll get frustrated with mini9 typing longtime). Netbooks are meant to be connected to the internet everytime to enjoy it. Thats just my opinion.

You can have mini 9 with WWAN. You can be online anywhere anytime without a usb modem sticking out of your netbook. Which again, brings me back to my point earlier, what good is your netbook if you cant be online anytime anywhere?

If you really want a hardcore, powerful netbook, then you might as well buy a standard laptop.

i have mini 9 running snow leopard. everything works like a charm. i easily installed 2gb ram and 32gb ssd. you dont have to be a super techie to do this.
mini 9 is the choice for me. mini 9 FTW
  (#24) Old
Default 10-18-2009, 04:12 AM

Mac Mini 9 all the way for me. So much so that I just bought a Vostro a90 for a second project. Although the keyboard was definitely designed by the Lollipop Guild, the overall size just appears/feels smaller. It can load up to a 128gb SSD and flush mounted 32gb SDHC. so storage is not an issue, and the 2gb ram and SSD upgrades are drop dead easy compared to 10v (which is literally completely disassembled with the ram slot on the bottom of the motherboard after you remove 2 dozen screws and a dozen cable disconnects (including keyboard/palmrest/wireless removal). Insane if you ask me - apparently to comply with Microsoft's edict no netbooks over 1gb.
  (#25) Old
Default 10-20-2009, 02:46 PM

I'm a 10v guy (considering that it's the only one I used). I've heard that the 9 has better installation and better compatibility, but from my experiences, the 10v works perfectly. I get a kernel panic every now and then on startup, and sure the trackpad's annoying, but a 10" screen and a big keyboard is worth it.

Besides, I've got everything working except sound (no sound after sleep).
  (#26) Old
Expert Member
Default 10-20-2009, 03:34 PM

I've got the mini 9 and am very happy with it. I like its petite size and the keyboard really isn't an issue for me. It's highly portable, the install wasn't insane, and it's proved affordable and reliable.

The 10v's bezel around the display considered, I'd be curious seeing a 10v side by side with a MacBook 13".

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here

« Orange HD Icon (or why does SL think the HD is removable?) | No Destination to Select? »