General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default File sharing problem - 08-20-2009, 06:09 PM

At home, when both my Macbook Pro and Dell Mini were running 10.5.7, I had AFP file sharing working perfectly over my wireless network. I have since updated both computers to 10.5.8, and moved back to college, and now file sharing is not working. When I click on the opposite computer in the Finder, it says Connecting for a while, and eventually says Connection Failed.

I'm not sure whether the 10.5.8 update or the move to a new wireless network broke it. I have done some research, and tried this fix:

sudo rm /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpfs.kext /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs
but no luck. I have also messed around with the firewall settings, but no luck either.

Any ideas?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-20-2009, 06:26 PM

I would bet this has something to do with your University's network configuration (and not OSX 10.5.8, your MBP or your Dell Mini)

Sorry I do not have any issues with AFP sharing under OSX 10.5.8

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 08-20-2009, 06:28 PM

You should double check your System Preferences. I swore I had SMB (Windows) sharing enabled before but recently when I tried to access files on my Mini from a PC it didn't show up. I went and checked my settings and, wouldn't you know it, the settings were disabled. No idea when or how, but that's my experience.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#4) Old
Default 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
I would bet this has something to do with your University's network configuration (and not OSX 10.5.8, your MBP or your Dell Mini)
Indeed it's entirely possible - even likely - that they have Peer Isolation mode enabled. This is common in public access points, to both increase the security of each client and reduce the load on the wireless network. See if you can ping each machine from the other.

White Mini 9 | 2GB Transcend RAM | 16GB RunCore | 16GB Patriot Class 6 SDHC | Internal BT | 1505 802.11n | BIOS A05 | OS X 10.5.8
Thinking of trying Dropbox? Use this referal link and we'll both get an extra 250MB of storage.

« Bluetooth not working | Adding a kext to /Extra »