General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Operating System Not Found - 08-16-2009, 09:28 PM I decided to go back to 10.5.7 from 10.5.8 on my dellmini9. I followed the instructions using netbook installer, installed 10.5.0 fine, went to restart after installing, and I am getting an operating system not found after the dell logo page. I never get the grey chameleon bootloader screen (which I had prior).

I get:

For Realtek ethernet controller
media test failure, check cable
exiting PXE ROM
Operating system not found

In my bios (a05) it sees my 32gb stec drive fine. My usb flash drive lights up, and I can select it in the boot options (0), however it goes straight to that error.

I thought I might be able to throw linux onto it so I formatted a different usb drive fat32 (on my ppc), and used sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/diskN bs=1m (from ubuntu page) to make it bootable. The dell mini9 doesn't give me a usb option in boot options (0), so it's not seeing it for some reason.

My dell mini shipped with ubuntu when i bought it off ebay, but it came with a "operating system restore disc SP2." I don't have a usb cdrom so if I can get around it without buying, that would be easiest.

Not sure how or why this happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(#2) Old
Default 08-16-2009, 09:50 PM

I found a thread about it...I'm going to try re-restoring from an intel mac with the bootmaker and try again.

This past time I only formated the usb with an intel mac, I did the restore with a PPC.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

EDIT: I'm still not able to get my usb drive to boot. I was able to install linux so at least my drive is normal now. I've tried using the bootmaker and netbook installer, and my dell won't boot into it. Do I need to go down the syslinux route?
  (#3) Old
Default 08-25-2009, 10:38 AM

Any updates or info on this problem? I set up a Mini 9 for a relative and they are having the same problem.

« Great looking New nokia netbook - possible hackintosh? Meklort? | What web browser do you use? »