General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default New Vostro A90 with OS X and minor issues - 08-14-2009, 02:31 PM

First, thanks for a great site and excellent support. I am completely new to all of this but I went from finding the site to having a working OS X mini in under two weeks (including Dell shipping)!

The A90 has a 32GB SSD and A04 BIOS. I installed Crucial 2GB memory and did the install with 10.5.0 of OS X following the Netbookmaker 0.8.1 instructions and using the 10.5.7 combo update.

Everything worked as advertised. However, while booting, and before "loading Darwin" I get a very quick message that seems to be saying "hibernation image is too old by xxx seconds ..." What is the system trying to tell me? Is there something I need to fix?

Also, the system will not restart properly from the Mac menu. The screen goes blank and I have to do a shutdown and reboot using the power off button. Any thoughts on this? Can it be related to the "hibernation image" phenomena?

Everything else seems to be working just fine - wifi, sleep...
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 08-14-2009, 03:59 PM

Reboot: Related to shutdown also, you'll want to have either BT on, USB legacy support off in BIOS or BT off and USB legacy on. That should fix it for you.

Hibernation: In general it doesn't work. There are threads here on how to disable it completely. Then once its off remove the /var/vm/sleepimage file and you'll no longer see the error message.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#3) Old
Default 08-14-2009, 05:27 PM

Thanks. I changed hibernation using pmset and deleted sleepimage. The message is indeed gone. My BT was set correctly (BT on, legacy off). However, I have restarted a couple of times since then with no problem. Your help is much appreciated.

hibernation, vostro a90

« Can't install iPhone SDK Mini 9 | Repair Permissions in 10.5.8 fail. »