General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default EFI install Vostro A90, my "hidden" folders are showing... - 08-11-2009, 03:37 AM

First time I did the install, I did it completely on a working Mac to a USB stick, then restored the USB stick to the internal drive of the Vostro. After running DellEFI again, everything was Jake. 10.5.7.

But I decided to erase it all and do a clean install because 10.5.8 wasn't doing it for me, so I used the "Single USB EFI method" from the tutorial, using my 10.5.1 retail disk, and then combo update to 10.5.7.

All works, but this time around, all the System folders that should be hidden under OSX are NOT hidden. sbin, usr, etc. are all visible. Is this a result of the "installation failed" message we are told to "ignore" when we use Terminal to run postinstall after the original install? If so, how do I fix this? It's dangerous to have all these folders and aliases showing, and I've never seen this happen before on any OSX install. I thought OS X might correct itself when 10.5.7 update was applied, but no dice.

Telling DellEFI to hide the Extra bits doesn't do anything but hide those only, obviously, and turning on and off show hidden files in Cocktail doesn't do anything to these folders as they must not be flagged to be hidden.

I really don't want to have to install this again if there's a simple way to make OSX hide those folders (and no, the 10.5.7 combo update didn't fix it...)

(#2) Old
Default 08-11-2009, 03:48 AM

Well, at risk of screwing everything up, I tried chflags hidden /filename and it worked for all the folders and files, but not the simlinks.

Anyone know how to hide those simlinks? for etc, others? Not as important, but still should be hidden.

(#3) Old
Default 08-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Have a read on: Too Visible
It is discribed for tiger but also works on leopard.

In short:
Launch textedit, set it to plain text file.
Type the things you want to hide on seperate lines, so for example your file should look like:

Go to Save, make sure the box to add the extension is NOT checked, name the file .hidden and save at the root level of your drive (the same level that Applications and System are on). You will get a dialog saying that dot files are not nice and will become invisible (words to that effect anyway). Click the button that says "Use ." and then restart the Finder, or log out and back in, or just restart the computer.

Done. The file itself is also not visible because it starts with a . and that means invisible.
  (#4) Old
Default 08-12-2009, 02:45 PM

If you have Apple Developer Tools installed you can use /usr/bin/SetFile

-P flag acts on a symlink file instead on the file the symlink resolves to.
So e.g. sudo SetFile -P -a V /path/to/symlink should do the job.

Attention: lower/uppercase counts on both: "SetFile" name and the "V" flag.

« Mini 10v shuts down when booting from USB | Installing Updates »