General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Red face Mutliple Boots Needed to get into 10.5.7? - 08-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the site.

I followed several posts and ended up with the following:
- Dell Mini 9
- OSX 10.5.7
- DellEFI 1.2a5
- 2GB RAM upgrade
- 32GB RunCore ssd

My installation works great, everything is as it should be. But my problem is that not every boot will get me into OSX.

Sometimes when I boot I will get the white screen with the Apple logo in the middle and NO spinning graphic down the bottom. When this happens I hold down the power button to shutdown and try again. Sometimes the next try will get me into OSX, sometimes it will take me one or two more tries.

Has anyone else seen this inconsistent issue? It's not the biggest problem in the world, but if there is a known fix I'd love to implement it. I did some searching but because it's such a bizarre problem I didn't have any luck with the search terms I was using.

Any help is appreciated.

[Edit]: Updated my specs with RAM and ssd.
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 08-01-2009, 08:30 PM

Remember it is a hackintosh. Basically you've got a bit of software that's emulating the BIOS of a real Mac that gets run as soon as your mini POSTs. Occasionally it won't get it 'right' and the OS will end up attempting to load before the emulated bits are all ready. Then the OS won't see the HD/SSD and it'll just sit there waiting on a device that is never going to show up.

You did the right thing, if you wait a bit but don't see the graphic that represents accessing the boot device just hold down power til the mini shuts down then try starting again.

I'd say it happens to me maybe twice in a month (if that often) and I boot the machine multiple times a day.

If you really are having a success rate of 50% I'd consider a reinstall of the OS, but only after reseating the RAM (even if you didn't do an upgrade, it could still be seated not quite right) and reseating the SSD also.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#3) Old
Default 08-01-2009, 10:09 PM

You might try upgrading Chameleon as well, I know there is a newer version than what was in DellEFI.

Dell Mini 10v (RED) | 1.66Ghz | 2GB | 160GB | BT | Wifi(N) | 6 Cell Batt
BIOS A05 | Dual Boot GUID | OSX 10.5.7 | Windows 7

« Unmout External Drive | Y doesn't OSX use a cd key...? »