General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default MacBook Pro Question - No Brightness Control - 07-30-2009, 08:04 AM

Okay, I know this is the Dell Mini Forums.

Really, I do; but there are just so many crack OS X users on here, I thought someone might be able to help me out. Consider asking this question here a humble attempt at flattery:

Here's an interesting problem I am encountering.

I can longer control the brightness on my Macbook Pro (received on 7-23-2009) via the keyboard or the display preferences pane.

Here's where it gets tricky, with regards to the keyboard, all of the other function keys work (Expose, Dashboard, Key Backlighting Control, Playback Control, & Sound Control); and the F1 & F2 keys actually work; and in the keyboard preferences pane the "Use all F1,F2 etc." option is UNchecked.

Additionally, within the display preference pane, I have NO slider to adjust the monitor's brightness.

I have tried resetting the SMC and the PRAM, no luck.

Again, just so we're clear, this IS a MacBook Pro question. Any ideas would be great. Thank you all, seriously.

Dell Mini 9 | 1.6 Intel Atom | OS X 10.6.2 via NetbookInstaller 0.8.3| 32GB STEC | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth | 1.3 Webcam |
  (#2) Old
Default 07-30-2009, 11:32 AM

Hi congrats on your new MBP. I just bought one too. Thanks Dell OSX for causing me to spend a load of money I didn't have

I had the same problem. I could only control the keyboard backlight by pressing the command key and the top row key (function keys), but I could not make the display brighten. What I tried was pushing the fn key, the control key, alt option key while pressing the brightness key. Walla, it started working (I think it was the alt option key press with the brightness that did it). Now I can control the brightness and all of the rest with a single key press.

Post back if that works for you. Good luck and enjoy...I love my new "Mini 13".
  (#3) Old
Default 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM

Did you get a chance to try my fix to your problem?
  (#4) Old
Default 01-07-2010, 02:25 AM

I have the same problem. No brightness slider in the display settings. Are you running snow leopard? Here's where I think the problem lies. I have a 24" iMac and mini 10v both running 10.6.2. I used the snow leopard upgrade disc for both of these and both did not have the brightness slider. The buttons did not work on my iMac but did work on my mini 10v. I think its got to do with not upgrading from leopard or using the full installation disc instead of the upgrade disc. I took my iMac to the Genius bar and they reinstalled snow leopard and they gave me ilife 09 for I have the brightness slider in the display settings and the F1 and F2 keys work. As for my mini 10v, I have no slider but I dont care since the buttons work. Here is an easy fix if you dont want to take to the genius bar. Go to google and search for a 3rd party app called shades, this app works wonders and works better than the stock brightness slider, you can dim your screeen much darker than stock.

Dell Mini 10V, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD, 10.6.2, Bluetooth 2.0
  (#5) Old
Default 01-07-2010, 12:46 PM

I updated from 10.4 to 10.5 via drop-in upgrade that came with the MacBook Pro and then to 10.6 via SL retail. I never noticed if the brightness sliders disappeared as I always use the keyboard. Interestingly, I have the function keys set as standard on the keyboard setting which means I have to use the fn button along with F1 and F2 to set the brightness but it doesn't work with an external keyboard, whether or not the 'use function keys as standard' setting is selected.

Apple's own info re controlling brightness:
"To adjust your display’s brightness, try one of the following:
Use the brightness control keys. On portable computers, and if you’re using an Apple LED Cinema Display, they’re usually the F1 and F2 function keys. On some computers, they’re the F14 and F15 function keys.
If you have a computer with ambient light sensing, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Displays, and then click the Display tab. Select the option to turn on ambient light sensing.
The display automatically adjusts its brightness to match the current lighting level.
Open the Display pane of Displays preferences
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click the Displays icon, and then click the Display tab. Drag the Brightness slider to adjust the brightness of your display.
Check the documentation that came with your display to find out how to control its brightness."

So the slider's on the Display setting below the resolution settings. And it just wasn't there on your install?

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4

brightness, control, macbook, pro

« Standby not working correctly | Blurry image on external monitor »