General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 16GB vs 32GB SSD - 07-29-2009, 06:30 PM

So what has been your experience in how much space OS X takes up? I've read OS X 10.5 needs at least 9GB of space to run, but I didn't know if after you've installed other programs (like iLife or iWork/OpenOffice/MSOffice) if you had a decent amount of space left over.

I have about 8GB of music right now in my I would like to place that all on the SSD. It's probably cheaper to get a 16GB SSD and a 8GB SD card, but then I can't really add to my music collection...
  (#2) Old
Default 07-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Sounds like you want someone to tell you to buy a 32 Gb HD. 16 gigs is enough to squeeze on what you need but you should do what you want within your budget.
  (#3) Old
Default 07-29-2009, 06:45 PM

you could buy a 16gb SSD and a 16GB SD card - I paid £50 for my runcore 16GB and had about 5gb left after installing office and some extra games etc and running xlsimmer.

Over in the UK I canget a 16gb SD card for £18 delivered and a 32gb SSD is £80 - so I'd personally go for what you can afford. if you need to save some money, get the SD and the SSD, if you can afford it, go for the 32gb SSD
  (#4) Old
Default 07-29-2009, 07:08 PM

Buy the 32gb you'll wish you did if you don't. Every time I've bought a smaller drive to save a little $ I end up kicking myself.

« Parallels Desktop & Dell Mobile Broadband | Installing OSX, does it use a serial key for activation? »