General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Exclamation ./java: Bad CPU type in executable - 07-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Ok, I know many of you have "successfully" updated your Java to 1.6 (6.0) Update 4, but have you actually TRIED it?

First test, type this in a terminal: "java -version" and see if it is really running 1.6, mine shows 1.5

Second test, cd on over to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/bin and type "./java -version"

I get the following error "./java: Bad CPU type in executable"

so... anyone else get the same results? Anyone have a clue on how to fix this?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-29-2009, 01:58 PM

Java SE 6 is only for 64-bit architectures (see About Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 2) which is, I guess, why you get 1.5 from the terminal and you get the "bad CPU" message when you try and run it directly.

If I open the Java preferences app, then it doesn't give me 6.0 as an option (only 5.0 and 1.42). Which is (I assume) why the java -version command shows 1.5 rather than 1.6.

If you want a 32-bit version, you could try SoyLatte (SoyLatte - Port of BSD Java). They have a 32-bit version of JDK. Not exactly sure of the origin of it, but seems to be a FreeBSD port and now rolled into OpenJDK.

I guess that once you download this you can do some clever stuff with symbolic links to make OSX think it's their version. Or maybe not. I guess it depends what you want to do.
  (#3) Old
Default 07-29-2009, 02:41 PM

I might have to play with that then. My need for 1.6 is because I have the Ubiquiti Airview2 which requires Java 1.6

Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. - Products

OS X/Dell Mini 9/Airview2 is a great combo for doing site maps

« Hung after trying to enable bluetooth | Parallels Desktop & Dell Mobile Broadband »