General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Cool Another Happy 10v OS X install - 07-28-2009, 11:59 PM

First off, thanks to mechdrew and anguish for the wonderful software and guides.

I bought a Dell Mini 10v explicitly to run OS X and it has been running it quite well for over 24 hours. Here's my config:

Dell Mini 10v
– Intel Atom N280
– 1 GB RAM
– 120 GB HD
– 6-cell battery
– 1024x600

Here were my tools for the OS X install:
– 8 GB OCZ Flash Drive (for OS X Install image)
– 1 GB random Flash Drive (for 10.5.7 update)
– 10.5.4 Retail OS X DVD
– MacBook Pro

I used DellEFI 1.2a5, mechdrew's tutorial for most of the install and anguish's tutorial for the audio fix. It was pretty straightforward for anyone who has done OS installs and a little bit of terminal play, the hardest part was getting into the BIOS setup

I didn't get sleep working after the instructions, I may have missed a step, but I enabled USB Wake and now sleep works perfectly.

I'm very pleased with how everything turned out and the performance isn't that bad. General usage has seemed to be limited by the HD, so boot times and application launch times are about the same as my MBP. H.264 playback of Revision3 HD files is very smooth, as is H.264 trailer playback from Apple. Flash HD playback sucks, as expected, but standard and high quality works well, even Vimeo's non-HD videos are smooth, good audio sync and no dropped frames.

I found that with the trackpad driver that anguish suggests the dock is not responsive and some other graphics elements are slow. I'll be doing more testing with trackpad drivers.

Also, I'll probably do the RAM upgrade. OS X has 'smart paging' so while it always looks like it has 200 MB of RAM free, I know it could use more because my MBP with 2 GB doing the same things has about the same amount of free RAM. Plus the upgrade is cheap.

So those are my initial 24 hour thoughts. Any q's?

10v Atom N280 120 GB HD 1 GB RAM 6 Cell Battery Obsidian Black

« Sleep issues | Mini 9 vs Mini 10v »