General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 08-02-2009, 04:22 AM

I don't think so. Just tried and it wouldn't let me hibernate Win7.

Dell Mini 10v (RED) | 1.66Ghz | 2GB | 160GB | BT | Wifi(N) | 6 Cell Batt
BIOS A05 | Dual Boot GUID | OSX 10.5.7 | Windows 7
  (#12) Old
Default I've cracked it! This is how I managed to do it - 08-04-2009, 10:40 PM

Dual Booting for idiots! with Windows 7, OSX and a Runcore SDD
At last I got the thing to work!
Thankyou to all the people that tried to help me on this forum,

I thought I’d publish this as I struggled to find a definitive step by step guide to walk me through and would have loved something like this just to follow. Also I think it only fair to “put a bit back in” as this whole OSX thing on a Dell mini is just excellent.

There are some excellent video guides on YouTube by the way, especially of how to use the “Runcore method” of using you mac and the micro USB port on the SSD to install the OSX onto the drive.

This is what I have to work with

Runcore 64GB SSD (with ext USB connection)
Sony External DVD drive (USB)
OSX Retail DVD
10.5.7 Combo update on a CD
Dell EFI 1.25a CD
Bootloader 8.01 CD (didn’t need in my case)
Windows 7 RC1 DVD (and a code loads on google)

Apple 20” iMac
Windows Desktop running Windows 7 RC
The culprit (Dell Mini 9)

My wish is to have the 64GB Drive split with about 45GB for Mac OSX and about 15 GB used for Windows 7 (You actually get about 60GB in real terms)

This is how I set about it

1. Load the Runcore SSD into the Dell Mini 9
2. Enable USB Legacy for now in the Bios
3. Boot from the ext DVD Drive into Windows 7 Install
4. Go along with the obvious selections and then select “Custom” then press Shift FN : (Shift F10) to get command prompt and type the following as it is written here: DISKPART
5. then type CLEAN,
6. convert GPT
7. create partition EFI size =200
8. create partition primary size =14400
9. create partition primary size =45400
10. select partition 2
11. format fs=NTFS quick
12. assign letter c
13. exit
(I’ve copied and altered slightly this from another post) don’t be put off by this bit, just type exactly as above and better still write it down as you do it (remember your partition sizes) Obviously you can change the numbers to suit you own requirements but try and get the total as near to the 60GB as poss or you’ll have some unallocated space leftover (Perhaps someone clever knows how to recover that later??)

14. Close that window and actually what I did was to re-boot again and go down the custom route again and you should now have a list of disks to install to.
15. It’s quite possible that there are a couple of weird partitions (small ones) don’t worry about these. Something to do with windows 7 I believe
16. Then select the partition for Windows (it is the one that was about 14GB for me)
17. This should go fairly smoothly and when you are finished the machine should boot straight into windows with no mention of the MAC partition, this is fine. Personally I kept things simple at this stage as I wasn’t sure it would work so didn’t get too involved with updates and adding any other software. All that can be done later when all this booting business is sorted.

18. Next remove the SSD and plug it into the imac using the micro USB connector, then insert the OSX DVD into the drive , double click the OSX icon and restart as indicated.
19. This should cut out all the business of a boot CD and thumb drives etc
20. Then follow the usual “RUNCORE” OSX method
21. Basically select language and agree to the terms then when you get to the “continue option” click utilities on the top row and select disk utility
22. erase the “03” partition,(the one that’s about 45GB) name it OSX or similar and select ‘OS journaled edition’ as a format.
23. Then when you exit the utilty, you should see the “OSX” as a drive (probably orange), click it and get the green arrow and you are good to go.
24. This is the point where everything is much simpler using this method as there are no driver issues and at the moment your mac is behaving quite normally and just running off the SSD as if it were it’s main hard drive. Note that we haven’t introduced an DellEFI updates just yet.
25. I use the opportunity at this stage to update all the software and also install anything such as ilife etc as it is much more convenient (and quicker) while it thinks it an imac.
26. Once everything is set up copy the Dell EFI file and double click it.
27. Say yes to the “This is not a dell” issue
28. Use a custom install, leave everything as standard except make sure the “generate a system specific dsdt.adsm file” is NOT selected. You don’t want the drivers being installed while it’s surrounded by imac hardware!!
29. Then you can shut the lot down and pop the SSD back into the dell.
30. When you switch it on it will boot into windows.
31. let windows boot up and type “CMD” into the help line in the start menu
32. now type “DISKPART” again as we did earlier
33. list disk
34. select disk 0
35. list partition
36. Now check which one is your OSX partition and make a note of the number (should be 2 in my case)
37. now type select partition 2 (assuming yours is 2 also)
38. type ACTIVE
39. You should get a confirmation that this is accepted, type EXIT and you can shut windows down now.
40. By the way in case you hadn’t worked it out, now when the machine boots up, it will select the Mac partition where the lovely Chameleon boot loader is present. From it you can now boot into either the mac or windows.
41. Last job, boot into the OSX and run Dell EFI again but this time selecting the “generate a system specific dsdt.adsm file”.
42. Job done

I’m most certainly no expert so please don’t mail me questions about methods that differ from the above as I have no experience in them. I eventually cracked this after trawling through all the various discussions here on the forum.

dual-boot, osx, runcore, windows 7, windows xp

« No Drives Icon on status bar | OSX dell mini 9 problem »